MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Outfitters, WHY do we (you) need 'Em?

I always like doing my own thing, so I prefer to hunt unguided, but I’ve thought about arranging with an outfitter to pack out an elk on one of my out of state elk hunts to allow me to shoot one farther from the truck than I otherwise would if I found a willing outfitter. Has anyone ever done this or looked into it?

I think outfitters provide a valuable service. I personally struggle with whether I could enjoy a hunt if I was guided - but that doesn't mean I (or other DIY hunters) don't have respect for or see the value in such services and the people who provide them.

The only time I find myself at odds with outfitters is when they collectively seek to prioritize their business interests to the disadvantage of a DIY hunter. For example, if they demand a significant preference for public tags or take actions that reduce or block public land access. To be fair, if I saw DIY hunters lobbying to eliminate outfitters or exclude their clients from an equal chance at public tags I would not support such efforts.

The person who posted earlier about having more money than time...I too 10 or 12 years ago could never have envisioned such a scenario. These days, I can see a future where I pay for higher quality hunting experiences...truly what holds me back is whether I would actually enjoy myself. I'd probably prefer trespass fees or something that gives access but is still DIY, but even those options are pretty limited. Probably a separate thread, but I'd be curiuos what the experiences of long-time DIY hunters who did a guided hunt were...I'm sure a lot depends on the outfitter and the circumstances.

If you live 2000 miles from an area you want to hunt, it's nearly impossible to get any scouting time in. Even if you can arrive a few days early, scouting is limited. I have had good success hiring an outfitter for a couple days to get the lay of the land, then continuing on my own for the remainder the hunt. Coming from New England, I still have lots to learn about western hunting, habitat, plant life, local history, etc. Spending a couple days with a knowledgeable local guide here and there has been very informative for me.

Big difference, hiring a outfitter, get you setup, then you hunt, on your own . Or you hire a Guide, take the money that fell out of your ass(jls) and pay him.
Also, Eric. Hard to believe?
You better hope your client's don't read these.
They don’t have time, they are busy working.

I am amazed at the hate for the outfitter on this website. I thought we lived in America where you could be an outfitter if that was your career choice, or be guided by an outfitter because that is the path that you want to take. Seems the cancel culture might be spilling over to hunters. To each their own in the fair chase world in my humble opinion. Carry on you drunken bastards.

Rich
The most of these guys are ultra liberal, elitist types who think that by going out into the big scary wilderness on their own with all the latest gadgets makes them superior to anyone who hunts with an outfitter.

I've never had a problem with outfitters in remote areas. Their camps are usually in the back country and fill the need to hunt those areas with limited competition. I think each guide in many of those camps usually handle a couple hunters.

However growing up in Northwestern Montana, the outfitters competed directly with the locals. Day hunts, 6 hunters per guide, they stayed in the local motel and the service was dropping them off on the ridge top and picking them up at the bottom that night. Some of the clients did it without guides the following years making the woods very crowded.

Since every unemployed migrant that moved there started a guide service, it seemed you needed to get a reservation to shoot something. Most if the local were forced farther and farther into the back country to be successful. The wolves have ended most of that now and finding tracks is a challenge. Many of the guides/outfitters didn't have a license and no one seemed to police that. I even saw outfitters in places the FS didn't grant operating permits.

Outfitters have a place with some reason. Doing day hunts out of a motel isn't one of them.

I grew up hunting with my Dad and my uncles. All DIY and mostly on public land. Now I do both DIY and guided hunts. Both are fun and have their points. I found some good guides in WY and I use some work buddies kind of like guides in UT. My son and I have had great hunts with these guides. If they’re cool, it can almost seem like it’s just another friend you’re hunting with. All this greedy crap about this forest is mine or this state is mine is bullcrap.

how hard is it to hunt Indian res down there ?

It is very controlled up here and a guide is always required. We also have animal guide requirements. i.e. you hire an outfitter to take you on a Polar Bear hunt and he is required to hire an Indian to assist on the hunt.

I am not up to speed on "moms basement" I can usually follow the jokes you guys post, but this one ---?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back