Outdoor TV hosts (again)

This is off topic but a few weeks ago I was watching the end of a show that rhymes with "Winchester World of Whitetail" and they were hunting whitetails in MT. The "live" sequence of his shot was flat out EMBARASSING. It was the WORST reenactment of a shot I've ever seen. Even the guide was awkward. Ron, the host, didn't even have his finger on the trigger when it recoiled and the sound of the gun going off wasn't even timed right. Then he immediately went to eject the "empty" brass and put another one in ...but there wasn't any brass that came out. The guide kept looking at the camera guy like "are we still acting this out"? Probably one of the phoniest and most laughable scenes I've ever watched. It's sad, really.

I record about 8 shows. I zoom through past the commercials and in-show product demos so can watch 30 minutes of show in about 10 minutes, sometimes less.

I will watch Randy's shows whether is bison, elk, etc. Same for MeatEater. I feel as though Randy and Steve would be good guys to have in camp or on a tough hunt. Would keep smiling and put one foot in front of another no matter the weather or lack of animals that day.

I am more selective on the other shows and sometimes erase without watching.

I will watch a show that has amazing camera shots. Shockey did the hunt around the world show recently and was movie quality shots and effects with slo mo of a buring fire etc. Reminded me of travelogue shows when I was a kid. Informational about the people and culture as much as showing a hunt. Shows the challenges of just getting to the hunt.

Another show I have been watching for the camera work is YoungWild. If have not seen it, a young boy around 14 goes on some world class hunts. Uses a bow on some shows, maybe all. The show story and the boy and his father are okay but the camera work, including some by drone above as they hike through canyons and up steep hills, is something I have never seen. Cool techniques that add some perspective to how long or tough the current hike is going to be. They also show routes on a 3-D topo when they are stalking into position. Adds a bit of clarity.

Anyway, enjoy good people doing hunting shows. Enjoy having the culture and local people mentioned. Enjoy the backstory on how the hunt came to be and what was overcome to get to the hunt. Enjoy creative camera work such as the drones. Enjoy the big picture topo graphics.

What do I dislike? Hunts that do not appear challenging. Sitting in a deer stand next to a feeder, etc. Choreographed celebrations. Raw emotion is fine. That might include a high five or a holler. Hate poking the animal with the gun barrel to see if is dead, especially if walking right up to the head rather than the safer route of from the back in case the animal thrashes around. For the love of all things holy, do not sit on the animal like is a collapsed horse.

I scroll thru the guide and hit record on some shows. I look at the description and if it says food plot, stand, etc i just skip them. I try to watch the moose/caribu/elk/mule deer shows. I also skip thru alot of the ads, and gimmic crap.

Also when people lie on the show, or off it to try and make them better is just low.

Bummer.

Another reason why killing game and contests shouldn't mix. When humans compete, humans cheat.

Kind of funny she got busted from the metadata on her photo. When people post photos to the world they don't realize that in some cases those photos are geotagged. I've seen it quite a bit on instagram with people's hero shots.
The metadata part tickled me as well. I know a guy who figured out where to start his research for a OIL hunt in much the same way.

I briefly watched a predator hunting show last week that showed the "HUNTER" shooting at a coyote and in the background were several head of cows. It was disgusting to see and listen to and I changed channels right away. Didn't even get the name of the show. In retrospect I should of and then contacted the sponsor's and bitch at them for financing such a un ethical show. Man hind sight is so good ;)
Dan

I briefly watched a predator hunting show last week that showed the "HUNTER" shooting at a coyote and in the background were several head of cows. It was disgusting to see and listen to and I changed channels right away. Didn't even get the name of the show. In retrospect I should of and then contacted the sponsor's and bitch at them for financing such a un ethical show. Man hind sight is so good ;)
Dan

I cringe at this. Similar feeling when see a shot at an animal skylined. Who knows where that bullet ends up?

Epping ND is less than 9 miles from our hunting paradise. I was trying to find more photos of the truck buck to see if it matches any of my old trail cam photos. We get some nice bucks on trail camera during November and always wonder where they end up...

"Cheers" to the Hunter that can truly feel good about the decisions he made during the "Hunt". A lot of todays society is increasingly pushing ethics and morals aside for political and monetary gain. "Roll up your sleeves and get hunting" Quote from Theodore Roosevelt
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat
Theodore Roosevelt

I hate hunting competitions, and this just further emphasizes why I do.

Beware would be scammers, Idaho has a very sophisticated system for catching people trying to scam resident licenses.

IDF&G works very closely with our state department of revenue and other sources. If you buy an Idaho Resident license, and you did not file an Idaho state income tax return, the department of revenue will track you down and bill you unpaid state income tax for the year you purchased a resident license. Then you'll get a little call from Fish and Game asking for an explanation. Many people get busted for it every year. IDF&G also regularly cross reference license purchases in other states, and motor vehicle registrations. With Washington state so close by, license vendors are also very savvy to non-residents trying to scam resident licenses. I saw a get get nailed for this the other day, trying scam a resident fishing license. Its one thing they do extremely well.

Quote from her Extremehuntress bio.

From an early age I lived to hunt, and my daddy taught me that we hunt to live. He taught me to have respect for the animal, and that hunting is a blessing and a privilege, not just for the trophy and the glory. He taught me to be an independent huntress.

So what does it take to be an Extreme Huntress? It takes courage, hard work, determination, and tenacity to push through the many days of coming home empty handed, the bloody blisters on your feet from miles of eh-2013-contestant-pic001-AmandaLowreyhiking and the grueling weather conditions that you sometimes face.

I’m thankful for the camaraderie and friendships that hunting builds and I am thankful for the challenges that hunting brings and the lessons learned. I am thankful for the rough days, and I’m thankful for the perfect, lucky harvests. I am thankful to be able to pass on the knowledge that I have been given and I am thankful to be, an extreme huntress.

What a joke.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back