Outdoor Life on Zinke

As Secretary of Interior, Forest Service is the one major public land agency he will not oversee. That falls under the Department of Agriculture, and I haven't been keeping up with who's in the running for that one.

Nice article Ben.

According to reports, Governor CL "Butch" Otter, R-ID is being vetted for that job.

Matt Koehler was on KPAX this morning sounding a lot like Jose.

Yes, I would guess you would support political patty-cake.

Koehler believes these organizations are more concerned with securing funding from politicians than protecting the environment.

"They would rather play political patty cake with the politicians than actually stand up and do what's right for America's public lands, wilderness, and wildlife heritage."

Better than the other reported choices but I am not jumping for joy either. He will be good at keeping public lands public (I hope), but if our public lands become sacrifice zones for energy exploitation and wildlife habitat is severely degraded what good does that do?

Also, I would hardly call the league of conservation voters an extremist group. They are a valuable resource to use to gauge how politicians vote regarding issues of conservation. I know they have quite a few hunters who work in Wisconsin

Last edited:
Thank you, Ben. As you noted, we could have done a whole lot worse.

Politics is the art of compromise. As I see it, our job is to convince Zinke and his boss that we helped get them where they are, and that we are the key to their staying that way.

Keep those cards and letters coming. To Trump as well as BHA, RMEF.ORG, etc.

Not sure if this has been posted yet...

Donald Trump Jr. Played a Key Role in Interior Pick
President-elect’s son tipped the scales toward Ryan Zinke, raising questions about family’s role in administration
By AMY HARDER
Dec. 15, 2016 6:36 p.m. ET
Donald Trump Jr. heavily influenced his father’s decision to fill the post of interior secretary with Rep. Ryan Zinke, a one-term congressman who shares the younger Trump’s enthusiasm for hunting, say people familiar with the pick.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-jr-played-a-key-role-in-interior-pick-1481844976

I've seen that however, is there something wrong with listening to the advise of others? <edited to avoid diversion from topic>

Last edited:
Thank you, Ben. As you noted, we could have done a whole lot worse.

Politics is the art of compromise. As I see it, our job is to convince Zinke and his boss that we helped get them where they are, and that we are the key to their staying that way.

Keep those cards and letters coming. To Trump as well as BHA, RMEF.ORG, etc.

Some of us helped them get where they are, not all.

Better than the other reported choices but I am not jumping for joy either. He will be good at keeping public lands public (I hope), but if our public lands become sacrifice zones for energy exploitation and wildlife habitat is severely degraded what good does that do?

Also, I would hardly call the league of conservation voters an extremist group. They are a valuable resource to use to gauge how politicians vote regarding issues of conservation. I know they have quite a few hunters who work in Wisconsin
Debating the merits of proposed land uses of public land is much different than debating the merits of the idea of public land IMO. To an extent, one is a difference of means and the other a difference of goals...

Debating the merits of proposed land uses of public land is much different than debating the merits of the idea of public land IMO. To an extent, one is a difference of means and the other a difference of goals...

Agreed, but would add that if the ability to debate the outcomes of proposed actions is eliminated or severely curtailed, the goal is similarly achieved while the means become less relevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back