Oregon Blacktail Hunt in Pics

shay mann

Growing up in Western Oregon, I really didn't have a choice to hunt anything other than Blacktail deer. Still one of my all time favorite animals to hunt.

In 2013, we had a pretty epic blacktail hunt. We took a couple of days to dial in stands, and then hunted for 3 days, and killed 3 bucks.

Here I am setting up the stand that I eventually killed my buck out of.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 344
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 341
My buddy Ryan got on the board with this real nice wide 3 point buckl. He had a 35 yard shot, and made it count. His stand was down in a hole. So he had a pretty fun pack out.

Attachments

• 2d.jpg
    2d.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 339
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 340
  • 2abc.jpg
    2abc.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 342
  • 2ab.jpg
    2ab.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 341
My other buddy, Jeremy killed this buck. He actually killed him via a spot and stalk. Pretty nice 4 point.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 338
I was the last one to get my buck, so the pressure was on.
After passing up a small forked horn buck earlier in the morning this buck came by at 25 yards.

It was a pretty short blood trail. But still nerve-racking at times.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 333
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 335
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 336
I doubt we will ever experience that kind of success again. But I would sure like to try.

Too early in the year to be thinking this hard about next fall. But I am.

Attachments

• 9a.jpg
    9a.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 334
  • 9b.jpg
    9b.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 9c.jpg
    9c.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 331
  • 9d.jpg
    9d.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 330
  • 9e.jpg
    9e.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 329
Well done! A Columbia blacktail is near the top of the short list for a pard and I. It would complete the deer slam for him. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Those are cool little deer.. Seems like it would be a major accomplishment to arrow one of those, seeing as how you don't really have field edges, fencerows, etc. like we do over here to set up on.

Looks like a nice camp you have there as well.

Wow, congrats to you all on a great hunt! Nothing better than buddies all having success ! Memories that'll last forever!

I think you need to bring along another partner.I'm available if you can't find anyone
Great deer!!.I may be going out this year for them if I can draw an area I want to hunt.Were these taken during the rut or early season??

My first hunting season was for Blackies on post at Ft Lewis.....man are they ghosts comparatively. I saw tons of does but couldn't get any bucks to come out of the super thick stuff and it was a 3pt or better unit. That is what hooked me on hunting though :) GREAT bucks!!

I think you need to bring along another partner.I'm available if you can't find anyone
Great deer!!.I may be going out this year for them if I can draw an area I want to hunt.Were these taken during the rut or early season??

These bucks were taken during the late season. I have never taken an early season blacktail. I would love to get one in velvet one of these days.

These pics got me so excited for Halloween to come. Headed to your beautiful state to try and complete my NA Deer Slam. Congrats to your crew on 3 beautiful trophies! Good huntin' and thanks for sharing.

Was also wondering how Sitka gear would do out there. Your pictures answered that!

Back