Caribou Gear Tarp

Oregon Archery Blacktail

OregonTK

This is my first real post on this forum, so I thought I'd start with my buck I killed two days before Thanksgiving.

I'd been trying to kill one of the bucks behind my house, but after a big rain and wind storm blew through the northwest Monday I decided to go up in the higher country and look at some new real estate.

I'd cut timber in this area a few years ago, and remember when the snow came it was like a funnel for deer baling out of the high country. The roadside willows had been getting thrashed by the bucks, which is always a good sign!

I finally located some big timber that I wanted to hunt, grabbed my bow, rattlers, and worked my way up a ridge. I'd worked the antlers in two areas without a response, but the third spot I stopped to rattle I could see a deer working it's way toward me through the timber. I could see it was a small buck, which was good enough for me!

After a few minutes the buck had come to within 30 yds, but stopped and seemed nervous. Then the buck began moving around to my left staying just out of my effective range. I was wondering if he had caught wind of me, but he stopped and looked back and seemed to be looking through me. As i turned my head I spotted this bigger buck which had come in behind and to my right.

The bigger buck saw me move, but seemed more occupied with what the little buck was doing. He started to circle out in front of me and when he came out from behind a big doug fir at a little over 15 yds I drew and released. The buck took off toward the small buck, then made a U turn and ran back the direction he had come from. After a 50 yd sprint he stopped, staggered a little and tipped over.

I chose to drag him back to the truck instead of retrieving my packboard, a big mistake! The drag out just about kicked my butt! BTW...I had a heart attack and quadruple bypass 2 years ago, so my stamina and strength still isn't all the way back.

After not filling my elk tag this year I was really happy to get this buck.

2012buck1.jpg

Outstanding buck Ron! I was wondering how your season went.....

Good job and glad to see you on here. You won't get scolded for being yourself here! I know, it's hard to believe but it's true.

Congrats!!! Blacktail are TOUGH to hunt, ecspecially with a bow! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Ron! Glad to see you on here as well. I really really like the look of the arrows you make. Great deer.

Thanks guys! Glad to see some folks appreciate our wetside deer. :)

Outstanding buck Ron! I was wondering how your season went.....

Thanks Joe. I posted it on that other site while you were in Idaho I imagine. Probably down on page 6 or 7 now.

Congrats Ron! Glad to see you on here as well. I really really like the look of the arrows you make. Great deer.

Thanks!

BTW... the bow I hunt with is a Blacktail Elite made in Reedsport, Oregon. I make my own arrows out of Douglas Fir and use wild turkey primaries for much of my fletching.

That's a great buck. Thanks for sharing.

I've had a few close calls but no luck yet. Chasing them from the ground is a challenge but sure it fun.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back