Options for making a cow hunt?

Epfd217

Do to a change in employment, my 10-day Idaho elk hunt went out the window. New job says no vacation in the first six months.

So, my buddy and I have been trying to see if we can salvage a cow hunt somewhere with 4-5 days to hunt. I think I can probably get that much time away.

So, I've poured through the Wyoming options because that is a state I'm familiar with. Unfortunately there are no tags in areas I've researched so I would be starting from scratch.

In an effort to narrow down my choices, is there a timeframe you like to focus on for cow hunts? Do you find it easier to hunt them later in the season? Is that question too dependant on terrain?

Sorry if these are newbie questions. I've only hunted elk one other time with a another buddy and we got skunked. I'm trying to get some more hours in the field to learn more.

Other states I would look to would be Montana and Colorado based on travel distance. Any thoughts or tips are welcome. I'll be heading to the Montana FWP website next.

If you can garner some access, filling a cow tag in many places of Central Montana is about as easy as it gets. Left over elk B tags aplenty. Or, you could buy one of the general leftover bull tags in MT or CO and do that. In some of the MT units, your bull tag is good for bulls or cows.

Good luck.

I think if I had a choice I would go too MT, great place, great people, and lots of elk... you probably couldn't go wrong with Wyoming either but I believe your stuck with a leftover tag there, that might be a good deal and may be a bad deal, don't know much about WY elk, good luck,
Matt

I appreciate the comments. I will be honest and say I'm a bit intimidated by Montana. The vastness is remarkable.

It looks like the leftover tags won't be known for a couple more weeks, either that or I can't find them on the website. I'll have to keep any eye out.

I literally don't know anyone west of Yankton, SD,(except for you fine folks) so the possibility of gaining access on short notice is slim. It will be worth a shot when we get there, but I wouldn't want to bank on it if public land is limited in the area.

I'll have to narrow things down to some specific hunt zones to start making plans.

As for the time of year. If you can hunt them on the winter range it's easier than earlier in the year when they're up high.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back