Oppurtunity vs Quality Management Impacts CWD Management

the science is all over the place on this one and experts looking and pointing in different directions. We just don't know enough yet

I agree with Antlerradar that game farms are a huge reason why the Midwest has seen way more CWD and faster transmission than Montana. That, and over much of Montana (outside of the river systems), deer densities are lower than most of the Midwest and Upper Midwest. I have hunted a lot in years past in many areas of Montana, especially the SE and Glasgow areas. I'd expect CWD to move faster in areas like the Milk River if it gets there, which I assume has happened. With linear habitat like river bottoms, your deer move more and probably spread CWD faster than a local depopulation shooting like MN has done. Hope we get some control over CWD sooner than later. Onward, guys.
Dave.

I agree with Antlerradar that game farms are a huge reason why the Midwest has seen way more CWD and faster transmission than Montana. That, and over much of Montana (outside of the river systems), deer densities are lower than most of the Midwest and Upper Midwest. I have hunted a lot in years past in many areas of Montana, especially the SE and Glasgow areas. I'd expect CWD to move faster in areas like the Milk River if it gets there, which I assume has happened. With linear habitat like river bottoms, your deer move more and probably spread CWD faster than a local depopulation shooting like MN has done. Hope we get some control over CWD sooner than later. Onward, guys.
Dave.
I agree. Applying opportunity management to the low deer density places in eastern Montana will do little to slow the spread of CWD because the hunting harvest on the river bottoms is going to change little no mater how generous FWP is with tags.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back