Opening of forestry roads

peterk1234

I am trying to find out if there is a schedule of the opening of gates, specifically in Montana. I have not been able to find anything. Thanks. Pete

Most of that is forest and possibly district specific. Call the forest district office you're interested in and ask. Some may be posted under the travel plan but several forests don't have an official plan so you won't find any info.

EDIT: some forest roads may be open but impassable currently so the phone call would yield the best answer. Nothing worse than traveling to a spot and finding out the road is buried under 2 feet of slush and then seeing someone drive around and tearing up the place.

Last edited:
if you click on the road on the MVUM layer in Onx it will list open dates that i've not found to be inaccurate yet. but i'm sure it happens sometimes.

or just google the FS road name and you should be able to find some detail on the FS website for it

You'll have to go to the national forest website and look up what national forest you'll be in and it should say there, but it is also dependent on whether they can get to said roads because of snow depth.

Figure out where you want to go and contact the district ranger station and get your info. They should be able to give a good idea of the snow conditions.

A lot of FS roads are opened on June 15th in Montana. As far as road conditions they won't be of much help until the gate opening date. And sometimes the gates get opened a day or two late. mtmuley

A lot of FS roads are opened on June 15th in Montana. As far as road conditions they won't be of much help until the gate opening date. And sometimes the gates get opened a day or two late. mtmuley
Looks like I'm hiking in then 😁

Looks like I'm hiking in then 😁
Just be warned- if you’re bear hunting near a town, lots of people take their atvs around closed gates. It really sucks to be glassing from a road 2 miles back and have a bunch of guys nearly run you over.

Bikes might be a decent alternative, too.

Just be warned- if you’re bear hunting near a town, lots of people take their atvs around closed gates. It really sucks to be glassing from a road 2 miles back and have a bunch of guys nearly run you over.

Bikes might be a decent alternative, too.
What is really cool is when you turn them in and they get a big ass fine. Then their mouthy girlfriend won't shut up and she gets one too. Awesome. mtmuley

What is really cool is when you turn them in and they get a big ass fine. Then their mouthy girlfriend won't shut up and she gets one too. Awesome. mtmuley
In my case, it didn't go like that. Non-local dad & kid out for a ride, "didn't know they shouldn't." They passed me, I threw up my hands and gave that "wtf?" look, they didn't stop. Maybe because I had my rifle in reach.

I walked out. They came back past me. I gave them my free MVUM map of the region when they came back, showed them where they could go. They seemed apologetic then packed up and left, so I just let it go. But it was a well-worn trail bypassing the gate (which had also been bent up in the middle with a high-lift jack), and I had even tried to park close enough to the side to block it for anything but a horse.

Maybe adding closed dates to the giant "Road Closed" sign on the gate would deter a few more. Or just allow for bigger fines with no "plausible deniability".

In my case, it didn't go like that. Non-local dad & kid out for a ride, "didn't know they shouldn't." They passed me, I threw up my hands and gave that "wtf?" look, they didn't stop. Maybe because I had my rifle in reach.

I walked out. They came back past me. I gave them my free MVUM map of the region when they came back, showed them where they could go. They seemed apologetic then packed up and left, so I just let it go. But it was a well-worn trail bypassing the gate (which had also been bent up in the middle with a high-lift jack), and I had even tried to park close enough to the side to block it for anything but a horse.

Maybe adding closed dates to the giant "Road Closed" sign on the gate would deter a few more. Or just allow for bigger fines with no "plausible deniability".
I'm done letting it go. mtmuley

Several times over the years I've asked the USFS regional office if they could put up new signs indicating road closed to all motorized vehicles (except for snowmobiles certain times of the year). Most of the closed signs are gone, or old, faded or shot up and unreadable.

They've never put up new signs. It's either a budget thing, or they assume (out of town) hunters will look online for which roads are closed (they don't).

A few times I've rolled big rocks to block the gaps on both sides of certain gates, but they always get pushed out of the way.

Not so easy to turn them in. Usually I run into them miles away from cell service. They are on dirt bikes with helmets, or 4 wheelers, or other off road vehicles. And even if you do manage to see a license plate they are long gone before you could turn them in.

Not so easy to turn them in. Usually I run into them miles away from cell service. They are on dirt bikes with helmets, or 4 wheelers, or other off road vehicles. And even if you do manage to see a license plate they are long gone before you could turn them in.
Pictures. And if you have a plate, they should be able to be ticketed. I've done it. One time all I did was email the info. Sometimes people don't like to pose for a picture, but I don't really care. It's easy to catch them if you really try. mtmuley

I am trying to find out if there is a schedule of the opening of gates, specifically in Montana. I have not been able to find anything. Thanks. Pete
For US Forest Service areas, typically the government maps show open/close dates. A circle or square with a letter or number. Reference to a legend on the map and it states the dates open or closed. Follow up with a call to the local Forest Service office of the area to confirm.

Re turning people in:

So long as one's willing to be the complainant, go to court in the county of the offense, etc... Turn them in.
As LEOs are well aware, a person who complains though not willing to be the actual complainant is wasting time.
Misdemeanors of this sort turn, "case dismissed or charges dropped" as the complainant doesn't follow through or has squat for substantial evidence.
Most cases, a simple: "Not Guilty" response from the defendant is all it takes for prosecution to drop charge(s).
Back up your complaint. Video, pics, plates, etc... Accusation alone is chit. Prosecution will not take it unless enough is present to stick for their overloaded pile of cases.
If a person is served a fine/court date at the scene or later: Only a fool pays the fine. Those farkers illegally behind a gate on atvs, snowmobiles, etc in "No motorized" vehicle areas, are arrogant enough to do just that.

Life of overburdened cases and decisions prosecutors make daily.

For US Forest Service areas, typically the government maps show open/close dates. A circle or square with a letter or number. Reference to a legend on the map and it states the dates open or closed. Follow up with a call to the local Forest Service office of the area to confirm.

Re turning people in:

So long as one's willing to be the complainant, go to court in the county of the offense, etc... Turn them in.
As LEOs are well aware, a person who complains though not willing to be the actual complainant is wasting time.
Misdemeanors of this sort turn, "case dismissed or charges dropped" as the complainant doesn't follow through or has squat for substantial evidence.
Most cases, a simple: "Not Guilty" response from the defendant is all it takes for prosecution to drop charge(s).
Back up your complaint. Video, pics, plates, etc... Accusation alone is chit. Prosecution will not take it unless enough is present to stick for their overloaded pile of cases.
If a person is served a fine/court date at the scene or later: Only a fool pays the fine. Those farkers illegally behind a gate on atvs, snowmobiles, etc in "No motorized" vehicle areas, are arrogant enough to do just that.

Life of overburdened cases and decisions prosecutors make daily.
I have a fair record of getting people convicted after I turn them in. Haven't been to court once. mtmuley

I think you know how the game is played, @mtmuley . Many do not. I'd imagine you have the conviction to stand up against illegal activity to follow through and ensure you're allegation is as strong as possible.
You are also likely hunting/hiking local county areas where if it does go to court, you're good to attend.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back