Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Opening day sask elk

Sask hunter

All that scouting and obsessing over elk all summer paid off with me being able to tip over this OTC public land bull a little over an hour into opening morning.

On the walk in heard a bugle then a second shortly after and I moved towards it. Then heard one about 45 minutes later that I kinda thought was a hunter. In the mean time I was still hunting and soft calling as I worked through the timber. Windy morning made it perfect for that. Shortly after that he bugled and was closer and growly so I knew he was an elk for sure. He was kinda headed my way and I headed his way. Eventually caught glimpse of him but couldn’t tell for sure he was the bull as I also heard a cow in front of him he was pushing. He moved past so I quickly paralleled him and once moving up and in front of him a bit I cow called and bugled and you could see him through the timber as he turned on a dime and ran into 20 yards. Stopped frontal and I was sitting down and solid and hammered him right square in the chest with the 338 win mag. Second shot hit a tree but third shot piled him up as he was running no more then 15 yards from the first hit.

I’m on cloud nine as I happily shoot the first legal elk I see which usually is spikes. Never imagined I would be done so quick and to have a bull bugling. They are usually pretty quiet as there is lots of pressure in the area
A32E3021-E45E-492D-A843-C5BB99432A90.jpegBBBD7E5A-310B-4283-8D41-D4B92D467910.jpeg50C0DF55-A27F-4085-A5BE-EF6E27AF7127.jpeg

Congrats on a beautiful bull. Congrats on a fine Remington hat also.
being a big Remington fan all my life l have the same hat . Retired it a few years ago.

Congrats on a beautiful bull. Congrats on a fine Remington hat also.
being a big Remington fan all my life l have the same hat . Retired it a few years ago.
I’m a Remington fan too although my 338 is actually a ruger 77. My dad had a Remington 700 on 338 I would love to have some day

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back