onXmap - Hunt Talk Promo

On the App if you are in an area of low or mixed cell phone quality the app will continue to try and load the maps live from the servers. Be sure to go into the settings and manually change it to Field Mode so that maps are only pulled from your saved maps area. Hope that makes sense.

We have some big updates coming for the App!. There now HuntTalkers are the first to know!

I have used the Android app for a little over a year now and trips in two different states. I had it previously on a Galaxy S4, a Note 4 and now an S6. All three of my android devices had no problems with this app. The GPS on the phone is extremely accurate, just as much as any handheld GPS would be. I have used the app in my home state of MN and most recently when elk hunting in Wyoming.

So far I have had the pleasure of benefiting of the different basemap formats. When I used the app in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness, I found no value in the aerial maps so I only stored the Topo/Trails layer because it contained all the portages I wanted. I also had a different app that had lakemaps for fishing. No problems and the GPS and the app worked flawlessly.

Last week I used the app for 6 days hunting NF lands in WY. I used the aerial layer and the Topo/trails layer with no problems. It was great to be able to switch back and forth and get a full 3D view of the area with the different layers of info. It also helped with public/private boundaries, unit boundaries as well as the established trails and roads. Again, GPS and app worked flawlessly and I can verify all of the info because I also used my phone and the Google mytracks app at the same time to track/save my hikes during the day and I verified them when I got home.

The best plan is to cache the map tiles you need before you leave town. There is a low detail layer and a high detail layer for the map. I saved low detail to get main roads within the county and then saved the high detail layers for the areas I planned on hunting in. Once the layers are loaded, switch the app to "field mode" and test the use of the layers. Field mode locks out any internet/data connection and relies only on stored memory. If you did it properly you will be able to navigate what you have saved.

If you've done the map cache correctly, it will work in the wilderness. I switch my phone to Airplane Mode to disable all of the receivers and only use the GPS. Using the OnX app, GPS and my tracks, my phone lasts all day, including taking pictures and checking the map several times. I keep a Goal Zero solar panel and small battery pack to recharge the phone and keep it topped off. We spiked out for 3 days and I never let the phone get below 50%. I would recommend it to anyone!!!

PS, I'm just an average joe that gets nothing for my review and if you saw my post above, I bought the app in the past, long before this deal. Its worth it.

If you're having trouble getting the maps to store, there is a how-to video imbedded in the app or you can watch the same video on their website. Its really easy once you know how their program works.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great recap on the process Epfd217.

Just a reminder today is the last day for the promo. If you need another state chip or want to get an early Christmas present for somebody you are getting a great deal.

The new GPS will ship out to the winner tomorrow. I'll post the winner up here as well.

Promo code: huntalk15

Ah I just got one from Cabelas last week and it helped me greatly on this past weekends Wyoming Antelope hunt. Anyway I can get in on this??

I went through and sent out all of the Fresh Track free download codes so everybody should have theirs now for this promotion.

We had 54 people entered into the GPS drawing.

The winner is Riley Lizotte with his purchase of a Rockies North Regional chip.

Riley I'll shoot you an email with more info.

Congrats and thanks to everybody.

I went through and sent out all of the Fresh Track free download codes so everybody should have theirs now for this promotion.

We had 54 people entered into the GPS drawing.

The winner is Riley Lizotte with his purchase of a Rockies North Regional chip.

Riley I'll shoot you an email with more info.

Congrats and thanks to everybody.

No way! That's me! A big thanks to you and Randy for putting this on. It was an awesome deal with or without winning, this is just a huge bonus! Can't wait to put it to use in a couple of weeks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back