Caribou Gear

OnX going away?

ummm...yeah that doesn't look good. I may discontinue my auto renew and do it manually when more information comes available.

Don't give em anything info for free. With Offroad Map, BackCountry Map, Hunt Map, and soon some sort of Fishing Map - all of which could be one app with a suite of layer groups to toggle, they are just doing more of the same, which is business. Trying to ferret out who their competitors are.

They want to know which businesses to acquire or otherwise eliminate.

This is some major tinfoil hat theory, but when I was starting my foray into western hunting, every time I found a new mapping source it would go poof within a few weeks. I'm convinced that as huntinggpsmaps.com was growing they were squashing all of the potential competition, which included my free mapping sources that I had scraped from the depths of google...

That was my first thought.
The tinfoil hat side of me always jumps to conclusions like this, just how I'm wired, I guess. My response was GOHUNT and I'm sure that was the case for most so my hope is that GOHUNT is too big for onX to scoop up so they can keep competing with each other and bringing us a continuously better product.

Don't give em anything info for free. With Offroad Map, BackCountry Map, Hunt Map, and soon some sort of Fishing Map - all of which could be one app with a suite of layer groups to toggle, they are just doing more of the same, which is business. Trying to ferret out who their competitors are.
It’s funny a couple years ago I had a fishing depth chart filter on the onx app that showed saltwater wrecks and contour lines, then all of a sudden it was gone.

What is this fishing map you speak of?

I listen to some motocross podcasts and OnX Offroad is a big sponsor on many of them.

Moving away from the hunting market seems like a possibility if they’re seeing growth in the other services that are easier to market to more users

99% of hunters use OnX. We all enter in our most private and hard earned honeyholes for them to monetize in any way they see fit (*as long as they anonymize the data).

I bet they want to acquire or copy features from #2 on the list and establish a monopoly on the market, selling our honeyholes to outfitters, game agencies and influencers.

I would pay good money for an OnX analog app that promised not collect/use waypoint data from users at all.

I don't see it going away but more of a survey to farm for competitors they don't know about.

They just started a fishing version and most of the data they get is free so whatever they do basically pays all their bills. Plus the owners are now investing in ranches and guiding services...someone's gotta foot the bill

Back