Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

One gun/caliber to rule them all?

So I’ve killed 3 mule deer with a 28 nosler, ironically they’ve all been under 200 yards. I’ve tried 2 different bullets now (eldx, and terminal ascent) and although all three deer died, I haven’t been impressed with the performance. Two of the three deer didn’t bleed for 60 yards and the other one bled some but not much at all. Two of them were double lung shots (one high lung, one mid lung, and one was a heart shot). All three deer ran 100+ yards. I’m thinking of selling it and going back to a 300 win mag or a 308 or possibly even a 6.5 prc. Anyone else have similar results with the 28? My guess is that the 28 is simply going too fast at that close to have good terminal performance.

My guess is that the 28 is simply going too fast at that close to have good terminal performance.
This defies logic. Did you get an exit wound? If you did not then it may have been going too fast and the bullet came apart (eld-x I assume), and that could be caused by high velocity up close.

If I recall correctly, the terminal ascent has a large solid base, so it should give an exit. If that was a high lung shot then the chest cavity had to fill up with blood before it will start to pump out in volume, thus the delayed blood trail.

Deer hit in the lungs will usually run. Minus a CNS hit of some sort, a death run should be expected.

In either scenario, a 30 cal could do the exact same thing with similar scenarios. The 6.5 PRC is plenty enough for deer (basically a .270 Win with higher BC), and not too much. Could just be bad circumstances on your 3 shots.

This defies logic. Did you get an exit wound? If you did not then it may have been going too fast and the bullet came apart (eld-x I assume), and that could be caused by high velocity up close.

If I recall correctly, the terminal ascent has a large solid base, so it should give an exit. If that was a high lung shot then the chest cavity had to fill up with blood before it will start to pump out in volume, thus the delayed blood trail.

Deer hit in the lungs will usually run. Minus a CNS hit of some sort, a death run should be expected.

In either scenario, a 30 cal could do the exact same thing with similar scenarios. The 6.5 PRC is plenty enough for deer (basically a .270 Win with higher BC), and not too much. Could just be bad circumstances on your 3 shots.
Yea I mean I hate to be so picky cause it did kill all three deer. I guess I’m just afraid if I
shoot a deer across a canyon or far enough away I don’t know exactly where he was that I’ll have trouble tracking with no blood trail. Two of the deer were with the terminal ascent, one was with the eldx. You are correct that the eldx did not have an exit. However the other two did, one of which the deers lung was hanging out the exit.

Yea I mean I hate to be so picky cause it did kill all three deer. I guess I’m just afraid if I
shoot a deer across a canyon or far enough away I don’t know exactly where he was that I’ll have trouble tracking with no blood trail. Two of the deer were with the terminal ascent, one was with the eldx. You are correct that the eldx did not have an exit. However the other two did, one of which the deers lung was hanging out the exit.
If the deer’s lungs were hanging out then that probably plugged the hole, minimizing blood trail. Once again, bad circumstances. Sounds like the bullet is doing its job, just bad luck. It can happen with any of them. If you’re worried about them going too far then shoot the shoulder(s), especially if it’s a closer shot. Tucking the shot tighter to the shoulder helps to get a little more shock. Shooting the shoulder(s) ensures shock and helps to slow or break them down. Shooting lower helps to get a better blood trail. The terminal ascent is supposed to be a good bullet, but I’ve not used them.

If the deer’s lungs were hanging out then that probably plugged the hole, minimizing blood trail. Once again, bad circumstances. Sounds like the bullet is doing its job, just bad luck. It can happen with any of them. If you’re worried about them going too far then shoot the shoulder(s), especially if it’s a closer shot. Tucking the shot tighter to the shoulder helps to get a little more shock. Shooting the shoulder(s) ensures shock and helps to slow or break them down. Shooting lower helps to get a better blood trail. The terminal ascent is supposed to be a good bullet, but I’ve not used them.
All good points. Thanks for your input!

I'd have to say, one is not enough. In my experience the .25-06 is an ideal, and more than sufficient cartridge to kill any deer or antelope. The 7mm RM is flat shooting plenty of energy, probably, to kill an elk, but if you're in grizzly country, would it be enough??? Would it be enough for a moose? By enough, I mean that ya don't have a long trailing issue. I just bought two .300 win mags (a new BAR Mark3 & a new BLR). More punch and SD for the .30s. I even bought recently a .338 win mag in a used but fairly new Safari BAR. It's heavy as hell and not sure I could haul it up a slight hill at higher altitudes. So I guess I'd say for elk the best is a .300 win mag. A local in Montana told me that .300WM is the typical local caliber. Sounds about right. Ive only killed one elk, not a lot of experience, but it took 4 shots in the chest at 105 yards with 160gr Accubonds to drop this satellite bull. ELK AINT DEER. .25-06 for deer -sized and .300 win mag for elk and above.

Depends on the shooters skill level. Whatever gun you are confident will put the bullet where you want it to go. For me that's my 300 win mag. Load it heavy for big game or load it light for critters. Lots of hunters get their mind wrapped up in the bigger/faster cartridges kill faster/deader when in reality the critter will never know the difference between being shot with .243 vs 338 LM. If you put a good bullet where it belongs it will kill em dead. Magnumitis probably wounds more critters due to flinching or shooting long ranges (it's a magnum , I can shoot 1000 yards) than being underguned. Use common sense and your cartridge of choice within its capability and it will do just fine.

I’ve always gone back to the .308 Win.

Now that I’m using the .260 Remington and the .280 Remington more, I’m tossed of those three.

But really starting to lean to the .260 more and more.

I’ve had quite a bit of luck with a .300wsm. I purchased a new tikka t3x and about to get a brake put in it before hunting season arrives

30-06 would be my first pick for what the OP listed as game. Theres a lot you can do with all that available ammo for it.

The devil might be in the word last word “ ect “….. 270 would be my second choice.

For myself in the whitetail and hog world its the 7mm08.

I could get by fine with only a 30-06, .308 or .300 mag.
Wouldn't bother me at all taking on a big moose, elk, brown bear, or anything smaller with any of these.

Years ago I would have said the 7x57 but time passe on and today I'm partial to my 6.5x55. Then again just got my 243 back from being rebarreled to 260 and really likeing it! Lot of guys throw the brown bear into a question like this but actually very few hunt them or even in their country. Lived and hunted in Alaska for awhile and never ran into a brown bear! Used my old 308 up there.

Years ago I would have said the 7x57 but time passe on and today I'm partial to my 6.5x55. Then again just got my 243 back from being rebarreled to 260 and really likeing it! Lot of guys throw the brown bear into a question like this but actually very few hunt them or even in their country. Lived and hunted in Alaska for awhile and never ran into a brown bear! Used my old 308 up there.
Partial to the slow twist 6.5 creed?

Just curious what you had your 260 twist rate at? I looked a long time for a 1:8.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back