PEAX Equipment

One gun/caliber to rule them all?

steveshuntn1

I’ve had a lot of time on my hands the last month and have been reading and watching hunting videos and everything related to hunting and the outdoors.
I like Ron Spomer and his many videos on firearms and the many different calibers available. A recent video I watched was titled “One gun to rule them all!” A reference to Lord of the Rings no doubt. He chose the 7mm rem magnum as the ultimate all around gun for average hunting range and for a little extra when needed. I like the 30-06, but I’ve never been out west either.
So just for kicks and because it’s interesting to see what other hunters think. What’s your choice if you only had one caliber to hunt everything…bear, moose, pronghorn, hogs, whitetails…etc?

Last edited:
375 H&H; anything but a 6.5 creedmore. I like the 7s but if I had to pick one cartridge I think I would take a 300 WM. Not that you can’t kill most animals with lighter calibers when things go right, it’s done all the time. When I was a kid in Alaska a lot of the native guys used the 222 remington for everything. When things go sideways I like a little more mass. I agree with Spomer, that edge that allows you to shoot through the front leg of an elk seems to start with the 7mag. The perfectly launched shot for the crease behind the shoulder can become a shoulder/leg shot during time of flight. IF you never hunt elk, moose or the great bears the conversation is purely academic. My ex killed her one and only Roosevelt elk with “her” 250/3000. Near leg slightly forward, not more than 80 yards, about a third of the way up, between the ribs. DRT

Last edited:
I only hunt whitetail deer here in Michigan...have never had a desire to hunt anything/anywhere else. I have deer rifles in .257 Wby mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .264 Win mag, 7mm Rem mag, .308, .30-06, and .300 Wby mag. The only ones that haven't killed bucks are the ones that haven't been hunted with yet. Really don't see where one is much better than the others. As always, it comes down to shot placement and bullet construction.

Big .30 and handloads Ya don't have to fill 'em up all the way. And you can plink woodchucks with 110 gr or hammer moose with 220's. Gotta watch the 4000 fps 110's, the wrong bullet can turn into really fast rat shot...

I’ll be brave though. If I had to choose just one caliber, I’d pick something in 6.5. Creedmoor, 260 Remington, 6.5x55. They’re all practically identical, reasonable velocities with low powder consumption and quality billets available. I’m no good as an elk hunter, and never apply for moose, and don’t care about bears, so I think that about covers it all.

I've thought about it (one rifle for all), but not done it. The limiting factor for me would be having a more correct gun for the purpose - within reason. Many people do get along with only one rifle quite successfully. Nothing wrong with that either.

I’ve had a lot of time on my hands the last month and have been reading and watching hunting videos and everything related to hunting and the outdoors.
I like Ron Spomer and his many videos on firearms and the many different calibers available. A recent video I watched was titled “One gun to rule them all!” A reference to Lord of the Rings no doubt. He chose the 7mm rem magnum as the ultimate all around gun for average hunting range and for a little extra when needed. I like the 30-06, but I’ve never been out west either.
So just for kicks and because it’s interesting to see what other hunters think. What’s your choice if you only had one caliber to hunt everything…bear, moose, pronghorn, hogs, prairie dogs, whitetails…etc?
I have only hunted with one caliber all of my life (45+ years) It is the .270. It has never let me down!

I struggle with this because the category it changes for me the more calibers i shoot/ own. I guess the 30.06 but i don't even have one to shoot. Can we have one big and one small, or one gun stuck in the woods the rest of your life? Then its easy. But thats not your question.

"One gun (or cartridge) to rule them all"?
Maybe "rule them all" is the wrong term.
There are many cartridges that can and do perform well through a wide spectrum of needs/wants.
6.5X55 has been killing moose for many decades now.
But do you trust it in Brown bear territory?

Cartridges such as the 30-06, 308, 270, 280 Rem, 7mm-08 give acceptable performance such that you can varmint hunt, yet still not be "under gunned" in Brown bear territory.

I struggle with this because the category it changes for me the more calibers i shoot/ own. I guess the 30.06 but i don't even have one to shoot. Can we have one big and one small, or one gun stuck in the woods the rest of your life? Then its easy. But thats not your question.
I own several myself! I just thought it would make an interesting thread and question after watching Mr. Spomers video. The 30-06 is a great cartridge, but I can’t argue that the 300 win mag is not a bit better. Both would destroy a rabbit though!

Last edited:
Yes in the video he didn’t say anything about small game hunting. Perhaps the video and questions should’ve been one gun (for large game) to rule them all!🤷‍♂️

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back