Yeti GOBOX Collection

One 1 Ton Diesel Truck

Right, so still a limiting factor. Diesel models in general are rated to tow more than comparable gas models

Also, where are you getting that info? Diesels generate way more torque on average allowing for pulling heavier loads
From door stickers on 3/4 ton model trucks. A lot of fully optioned diesel 3/4 ton trucks that have a payload capacity of 1800# while a moderately optioned gas 3/4 ton can be rated at 4200# payload.
A 3/4 ton is limited by the payload capacity of the truck the payload capacity dictates the pin weight.
Diesels are heavy everything on them has to be bigger and heavier to handle the torque.
You have to reduce the amount of payload available for a trailer pin, by the weight of all items in the truck . Passengers and hitch , tools and all items carried in the box and cab.
5th wheel and goose neck trailers, typically place 15>25% of their weight on the truck, usually closer to 20% a 10,000 lb. trailer can place 1,500>2,500 lbs. on the truck.
Payload of the truck is determined and limited by the springs, tires , strength of the frame, and other factors.
Very seldom is the limiting factor horsepower or torque in a modern 3/4 ton or single rear wheel 1 ton.
When you add dually tire 1 ton that changes the tables turn in favor of the diesel but you often end up over weight on the front axle before you can reach manufacturers payload.

Somebody knows how to care for a Diesel 😂I remember when Ford switched over from International motors and they had problems with the head bolts. Funny the fix included removing the body to work on the engine.

Now, regarding gel ups. I made my money working in an oil refinery lab. That work included testing the pour point of more diesel than I could possibly remember. Here is my own strategy to avoid gel ups. I watch winter weather, pretty closely. Anything down to -10F will not cause a gelling problem. At about -15F, I pay attention. If it is that cold, I top off a tank with number 1. If it is still that cold or colder, I fill with number 1. If number 1 gels on you, it is too damn cold to be hunting. It has to get -40F before it begins to gel at all. I have never added any of the aftermarket anti gel products. I also have never had the fuel gel up on me.
Genuine question do you know the name of this effect?
When you pull a gas or liquid through a point of restriction causing it to increase velocity and drop temperature? I can't think of it but its the same basic principle used with refrigerant. Just less dramatic.
Anyway this happens in a fuel system.
Older diesel were bad about it but newer ones have been designed to avoid pressure drops through the system.
Although a slightly restricted fuel filter will usually be enough to start the process.

Genuine question do you know the name of this effect?
When you pull a gas or liquid through a point of restriction causing it to increase velocity and drop temperature? I can't think of it but its the same basic principle used with refrigerant. Just less dramatic.
Anyway this happens in a fuel system.
Older diesel were bad about it but newer ones have been designed to avoid pressure drops through the system.
Although a slightly restricted fuel filter will usually be enough to start the process.
Are you talking "Convection"

Are you talking "Convection"
Found it.

Adiabatic cooling occurs when the pressure on an adiabatically isolated system is decreased, allowing it to expand, thus causing it to do work on its surroundings. When the pressure applied on a parcel of gas is reduced, the gas in the parcel is allowed to expand; as the volume increases, the temperature falls as its internal energy decreases.

I’ve had a Cummins, Duramax and a power stroke. Only one I ever had issues with cold starts was the Cummins. Took forever to warm up in the winter time. Duramax warms up the fastest of the three in my experience. I’ll keep my power stroke over all three for pulling anything. I’d choose neither as a hunting rig though. Like riding in a lumber wagon especially the dodge

When you think about cost of a UniMog would be ideal for a hunting rig. Regeared for the road you would have it all, including a tent ready when you got there😂

Even a 3/4 ton is overkill for a lot of people. I've towed some loads with a 3/4 ton diesel DOT would have frowned upon. Too bad the 1/2 ton diesels haven't proven themselves. Seems like a great compromise. But, with diesel trucks, big and bad sells. mtmuley
I've had a F250 Ford (diesel) since 2006. Have used it to pull a 37+' 5th wheel since both were new, including 2 round trips AK to PA. Zero handling problems (even though its way over weight). If I was towing every day, a 1 ton truck would have probably have been advisable, but for just a few weeks a year, I'm happy with what I've got.

Little late. I drive 2018 Ram single axle 3500 diesel,8ft bed and has up grade transmission/air overloads. We do lot of camping RV in mtns/hunting outfitters tent.

I live out of town and haven't had to use snow plow last winter.

I’m looking to get into a 1 ton diesel, ~5 years old, 8’ box. I don’t have any brand loyalties. I need to do some hauling and the rig will be used for hunting and other backcountry access. What brand would you buy and why? Are cold starts still an issue/concern when returning to a diesel truck after a couple days sitting in sub zero temps? I don’t want a truck that is going to spend a bunch of time in the shop. Are there better years of brand x that have less issues? Appreciate to hear your thoughts based on real experience vs just opinion. If this has been covered I apologize. Thanks in advance.
Just my two cents. Only buy diesel cuz u want too. My experience as a owner operator is that diesel power comes with a lot of special matinence challenges. The net is that if you want a diesel PU the extra work will be worth having what you want!!!! I sold my over the road trucks and diesel pu three years ago Kenrorth and Ford. I love my 2018 F250 6.2 gas I tow 3 or four times a week equipment and hay for the farm. Drive gas and you can trade more often is my new deal.

When you think about cost of a UniMog would be ideal for a hunting rig. Regeared for the road you would have it all, including a tent ready when you got there😂
The thought had crossed my mind....

2a8308f7-184e-4450-ac6f-2f26e552ce60.jpg

Going to be some heavy rigs stuck around here. Monsoons in full stride ready to stop a convoy.
Time for the Tacoma and fly like butterfly and sting like a bee...

Start by saying, I’m a Ford guy. I can count the number of nonFords in the past 44 years on one hand.
Have 2 F250s now, a ‘02 with 5.4 Triton, a ‘14 with 6.7 PS. Both have pulled 5th wheel campers all over the country. Never had a issue with power.
The 6.7 is in right now getting a new turbo. Was told it was caused by following Fords oil change recommended mileage. A diesel needs to have the oil changed every 3-4k.
At $100+ for a change, that gets expensive.
Don’t know that I’d go with another diesel next time. It sits in the barn and I drive the ‘02 the most. Unless you’re doing contract hauling, I’d stay away from any diesel.

Start by saying, I’m a Ford guy. I can count the number of nonFords in the past 44 years on one hand.
Have 2 F250s now, a ‘02 with 5.4 Triton, a ‘14 with 6.7 PS. Both have pulled 5th wheel campers all over the country. Never had a issue with power.
The 6.7 is in right now getting a new turbo. Was told it was caused by following Fords oil change recommended mileage. A diesel needs to have the oil changed every 3-4k.
At $100+ for a change, that gets expensive.
Don’t know that I’d go with another diesel next time. It sits in the barn and I drive the ‘02 the most. Unless you’re doing contract hauling, I’d stay away from any diesel.
Just curious about your recommendation on oil changes. What was ford's? Dodge service schedule Is 15000 mile oil changes

I’ve got all kinds of diesel equipment, from pickups to combines. 3-4000 miles is unecessary, most of my equipment has 500 hr. oil change intervals. No turbo issues, sometimes turbos go out.

I have a '15 Dodge 3500 crew cab long bed. Not sure what kind of back country access your talking but I don't take mine in the woods very far. It's a diesel, so tow more! I live in CO where double towing is legal. Opinions vary whether you should or shouldn't but just a thought for you... I tow my atv behind my fifth wheel. Never had an issue cold starting but it does idle rough for a while after you start if its too cold. All diesels do on cold starts. Let it warm up for a bit and then get going. Diesels are bigger, heavier, and slower. At least they are supposed to be. Many treat them like its the Daytona 500 and that's ok... just expensive. Adult money buys adult toys. I start running additive to my fuel with every tank starting in October as I don't trust the fuel stations to run proper fuel early enough. Keep your batteries fresh though! Oil changed once a year as I don't drive enough to hit 15,000 miles annually.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back