MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

One 1 Ton Diesel Truck

Philthyphil

I’m looking to get into a 1 ton diesel, ~5 years old, 8’ box. I don’t have any brand loyalties. I need to do some hauling and the rig will be used for hunting and other backcountry access. What brand would you buy and why? Are cold starts still an issue/concern when returning to a diesel truck after a couple days sitting in sub zero temps? I don’t want a truck that is going to spend a bunch of time in the shop. Are there better years of brand x that have less issues? Appreciate to hear your thoughts based on real experience vs just opinion. If this has been covered I apologize. Thanks in advance.

I had a 2006 3/4 ton duramax up until last year. Only had it gel twice. Once in Craig, CO at -36F and once in Green River at -38F. I had it at those temps other times with no issues. Power Service works but does not stop all issues. When I decided to get a different truck I realized towing needs were not ever enough to justify a diesel and ended on a 1/2 ton gaser for ride quality.

Had great luck out of Dodge/RAM with cummins. Owned about 10 of them from daily driving to heavy towing. Lots of guys running them 500k miles plus hotshot hauling with good maintenance. Sad part is, used truck prices are sky-high right now. I've seen 2-3 year old trucks selling for new truck prices. I have a 2019 3500 that I'm entertaining selling because i can actually get more than I paid for it as backwards as that sounds

I’m looking to get into a 1 ton diesel, ~5 years old, 8’ box. I don’t have any brand loyalties. I need to do some hauling and the rig will be used for hunting and other backcountry access. What brand would you buy and why? Are cold starts still an issue/concern when returning to a diesel truck after a couple days sitting in sub zero temps? I don’t want a truck that is going to spend a bunch of time in the shop. Are there better years of brand x that have less issues? Appreciate to hear your thoughts based on real experience vs just opinion. If this has been covered I apologize. Thanks in advance.
I have had Dodge, GMC and now driving a Ford and the favorite would have to be the old 1998 Dodge with the 12 valve Cummins that never let me down. Stick shift as the Dodge automatics were a problem for towing durability. My current Ford crew cab long bed can be a bit of a beast to turn on mountain tracks that are narrow, comments on GOOD BATTERIES and additive are critical in cold, always have a can of Diesel 911 in case you do get jelling and keep a spare fuel filter as they can get waxing that reduces fuel flow. forget a dually for a hunting rig, all mine have been single axle, the new Ford is a beast for towing, easy pulling 15K at altitude over 13,000 mtn passes. Current used prices are indeed crazy.

I know your looking for diesel, but ill throw in my two cents anyway.

Have you looked into a 1 ton or 3/4 ton gasser? I have a 2008 f250 with the v10. Cold starts no problem, reliability? Again haven't been a problem for me. I have a crew cab with the 8ft box. Could be an option for you?

I have been driving a 2012 dodge 3500. I have had no recalls or breakdowns in 175,000miles. The previous 3/4 tons were a little underpowered without chips and there are inheirant problems with specific years. 94-transmission, 02 - transfer case, 08- transmission maintenance and rear axle seals. 05-06 was also a tough set of years.

I have no idea what the weak points are with the newer ones. The 68rfe auto tranny has been great. The 08 auto tranny required lots of maintenence.

Fuel in Montana comes with power service in it after October.Have never had jelling problem in a truck or a tractor. But I put power service in my bulk fuel. With sustained cold (-30) I put the radiator bib on.

I own a Chevy duramax and would recommend a gasser if your only occasionally towing. The fuel mileage cost of a diesel is higher than a gas and both pull very good.

December of 2019 we had a duramax and a new Cummins in camp. Both geled from -10 to -20 and wouldn't start for 4 mornings. We had a Honda eu1000 plugged into the Cummins all night and it started on the last morning. We lost a lot of time hunting.
The longer it stays cold the worse it will be. Wind is also a factor.
The owner of the Cummins was the manager at the fuel station and assured us everything had winter diesel. It also had a gallon of white power service in the tank because we were expecting it to be cold and needed it to move the horses every day.
Most large equipment operations will have fuel tank heaters and leave diesels idling all night in those temps.

He might have had winter blend fuel but I’ll bet money he didn’t have #1. It makes a difference, which I learned the hard way on a trip to North Dakota.
Its quite possible. Perhaps it is hard to get true #1 in Central and southern Idaho I know a lot of mines and such are idling in those temps. Even so if the fuel tank gets cold you typically gell at the fuel filter. I have pulled a lot of filters off and it looks like they are filled with granular wax. 50/50 red power service and diesel melts it like butter.
Most of the operations I have worked for were buying tankers of fuel at a time and having sporadic problems.
I just don't want to lose days like that again.
O.p. drive the new 7.3 /10speed ford its pretty impressive for a gasser.

Good stuff. Thanks guys. I’m not hung up on the diesel piece, just what I was thinking. I could go gasser, towing would be occasional. I’m not buying this rig for MPG but what MPG would you say a gasser would get? It would solve the gelling problem and save some scratch on purchase price. Speaking of which I’d be waiting for normalcy in the market. I am also looking for the crew cab.

I get the draw to the older models but I’ve had a lot of old trucks, looking to get something nicer for my next rig.

Please keep thoughts/advice coming.

3/4 ton diesel would maybe be a good compromise. Great for towing most standard loads and a bit lighter/easier to deal with than 1 ton. I have a 2011 Ram 2500 6 speed that I love, no issues and I hope to drive it past 3-400k. Plus no DEF that year (I think every year after that has def but I’m not sure).

I wouldn't buy a 1 ton diesel truck for anything except pulling extremely heavy loads on pavement everywhere that truck goes. Too much tech and capable gas trucks available for the occasional puller. mtmuley
Yup had 3 of em. Couldnt justify it anymore, don't miss it.

Yup had 3 of em. Couldnt justify it anymore, don't miss it.
Even a 3/4 ton is overkill for a lot of people. I've towed some loads with a 3/4 ton diesel DOT would have frowned upon. Too bad the 1/2 ton diesels haven't proven themselves. Seems like a great compromise. But, with diesel trucks, big and bad sells. mtmuley

For what I’m doing, I feel like a 3/4 ton is going halfway. I need to be able to pull heavy loads. Not everyday, but often enough. That said I felt like getting the gasser was going halfway but maybe it’s a descent compromise. I don’t need to pull it fast and I’m not in Colorado anymore so I’m not going to 12k’. I just need to feel like I’m not going to break my truck when towing. I do however live at the top of a very steep hill halfway up a mountain ...

Good stuff. Thanks guys. I’m not hung up on the diesel piece, just what I was thinking. I could go gasser, towing would be occasional. I’m not buying this rig for MPG but what MPG would you say a gasser would get? It would solve the gelling problem and save some scratch on purchase price. Speaking of which I’d be waiting for normalcy in the market. I am also looking for the crew cab.

I get the draw to the older models but I’ve had a lot of old trucks, looking to get something nicer for my next rig.

Please keep thoughts/advice coming.
My ‘17 F250 gas crew cab w/377 gears gets about 12-13 avg. without trailer and about 9-10 with trailer. I moved up to the 3/4 ton more for safety, stopping and payload than tow ratings. I don’t tow anything over about 8k lbs, but the control with this vs my 1/2 ton Chevy is very significant…and no mileage penalty at all when towing. That extra price and maintenance for the diesel I just couldn’t justify For my needs…but I really did want one. No regrets with this decision tho.

Back