Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Once in a lifetime Idaho moose

Congrats man. That’s an awesome story. That hitch rack pic is absolutely fantastic. I would have loved to see the faces of the people following you on the road that day! Congrats again!

awesome. Did you consider looking over more moose or was this the sort of bull to expect for the area?
I don't know that I can even tell you what kind of bull would be expected for this area. I'm a meat hunter, and my life is pretty insane right now with demands from work, home, and finishing off the house that we're building. So, first legal bull that wasn't a baby was coming home in my truck, or on my hitch carrier as the case may be.

I don't know that I can even tell you what kind of bull would be expected for this area. I'm a meat hunter, and my life is pretty insane right now with demands from work, home, and finishing off the house that we're building. So, first legal bull that wasn't a baby was coming home in my truck, or on my hitch carrier as the case may be.
I’ve done the build your own house thing myself! It’s a 24/7 job on it’s on. I’d have been just like you…legal gets a trigger pulled!

I’ve done the build your own house thing myself! It’s a 24/7 job on it’s on. I’d have been just like you…legal gets a trigger pulled!

Yeah, the only consolation to building my own house, is it I get a house exactly like what I want. And for the neighborhood I'm in, I came out way cheaper to build than I would have to buy. Which is insane to me, I have no idea what planet I live on where it works like that, but around here it does.

Also as an aside, this guy was 100% as big as we could possibly have moved. We overheated the winch and the ATV several times getting him out, and I am fairly sure we were over weight for the hitch carrier. If he'd weighed even so much as another 50 lb, I don't think we would have made it. Not that I was thinking about all that as I was taking the shot or anything, mind you, but as it worked out it was perfect!

I would loved to have seen that moose riding home on the hitch carrier on the highway.

Once I killed a cow moose we managed to put in my truck bed whole. I was driving the interstate the 2 hour drive to meat processor with all four legs sticking up. The looks I got were priceless.

"...and I am fairly sure we were over weight for the hitch carrier. If he'd weighed even so much as another 50 lb, I don't think we would have made it. Not that I was thinking about all that as I was taking the shot or anything, mind you, but as it worked out it was perfect!"
I'm thinking you should add a good set of caster wheels to the underside of that hitch-carrier as soon as The Wife(TM) gets her moose tag! Or maybe a lift-kit on the 4Runner. I have little doubt that you did in fact overloaded the carrier capacity. Glad it all worked out! No harm, no foul...

Any chance you have a photo when you were ready to pull away or in transit with the bull on the cargo carrier? I have to say I am fascinated with that part of your story. I can only imagine people's reactions when they saw you rolling down the road!

Any chance you have a photo when you were ready to pull away or in transit with the bull on the cargo carrier? I have to say I am fascinated with that part of your story. I can only imagine people's reactions when they saw you rolling down the road!
It was dark by the time we hit the bottom of the mountain, and I think the whole way home we only had one or two cars that came up behind us, but yes, I bet there were some wide eyes and tongue wagging going on for the odd person that did see it, LOL.

Here is a pic of the rig as we were setup while rolling.

EDIT TO ADD: no, the foreleg was not touching the ground on the way home, it's not clear in the pic, my driveway is on an incline that starts right behind where the back wheels of the 4runner are sitting.

Moose-Ride.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back