MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

On Goat Point

The Hedgehog

Sharing some pics from my son’s goat hunt last weekend in the Lee Metcalf Wilderness of Montana. He's leaving tomorrow for his first year at college and it was a great last weekend at home. I'm very thankful for my friends who helped on this hunt and were along during the scouting expeditions this summer.

We'd been in a couple days early in hopes to find a giant old goat we'd seen in July. Although we didn't find the big guy, we found a couple others that would fit the bill for the opener. Then, just as our plan for morning was nearly etched in stone, we found a different big old lone billy in a spectacularly scenic place just before dark. He was there waiting for us the next day. It was over at 6:57AM.

It doesn’t hurt to have a great friend along who’s as talented with a camera as Jake Mosher.

View attachment goat1medium.jpgView attachment goat2medium.jpg

Last edited:
Spectacular photos. Congratulations to your son—hell of a way to leave for college.

The super awesome photos were taken by Jake. Some of the photos above I took with my iphone - which turn out surprisingly well. Some, the pano ones, won't load on here are only can be seen by clicking the view attachment link. The one where he's shooting is just a capture of a video. Will say I had some on point anger about all the hiker parties, hippie, potsmoking, mushroom eating folks that were 7+ miles from their cars. No conflicts though. We got the goat in "no-hippie basin" -had the place to ourselves all day. It was one of the more remote places in that hunting unit. Labor Day weekend is busy in the Spanish Peaks.

Last edited:
Congrats! Great pics and adventure I'm sure you will all remember forever.

I can only imagine what the Spanish Peaks has turned into. Glad you were able to make the most of it.

Yep,super cool Greenhorn.congrats to you an your son. Your photos are awesome.
Spanish Peaks has some incredible country, I've spent years exploring/hunting/fishing/peak bagging up there. But not much in the last ten. Glad you found a hippie free zone.

Congrats! What a fantastic send-off for college. Family, friends, etc. Can't beat it!

Nice work to the young horn. Very cool experience for a father and son along with friends.

Fantastic stuff, way to wrap up an incredible hunt. Big billies like that are such an impressive animal to see.

8 years old?

#makinghunttalkgreatagain

Back