Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Olympic Peninsula Fishing in May

Ben Lamb

We're planning our post-session vacation for the Olympic Peninsula in mid-May. I want to do a big-water charter, having never done so in the past. Also planning on bringing the 5wt & 7wt. Any recommendation on charters or good streams for cutts? How about salmon or steelhead? Not above hiring a guide for flyfishing either, if folks have a good recommendation.

I wish I could help you out, but i just moved here in may. still trying to figure stuff out myself. one thing I learned is that elk hunting here in November requires GOOD raingear!

The research I have done so far, looks like a charter out of Westport is a good bet for Bottom fish and salmon. I don't have any specific recommendations as I have done it yet myself but hope to this summer.

Hopefully there are a few others on here from the area that can be of more help.

Westport is a great port to fish out of. There's several good boats and captains working out of there. If you decide to make it down there I can recommend a great boat to go with. I've fished with them a dozen times and never had a bad trip. They take real good care of your fish and do an excellent job filleting. Let me know if you want more info and I'll PM you.

Thanks guys. We booked our VRBO today at Lake Sutherland for about a week. I'd appreciate the heads up, Brittany Chukarman, on the Westport charter,. That would most excellent!

I don't think your salmon season will be open in Marine area 2 (Westport) in mid May. Best salmon fishing occurs mid July through August. Beautiful country. Give yourself some time to check out Olympic National Park.

Doug Rose's fly fishing books devoted to the OP are a fantastic resource.

I don't know where you could get salmon that early up there. Maybe some good steelhead fishing? Check out the Piscatorial Pursuits forum based in Washington. The Westport boats will be fishing rockfish and lingcod with a few dates for halibut. The rockfish/lingcod trips are a blast. Most trips come in with full limits of 10 rockfish and 2 lingcod for the whole boat. That's the info I'm sending you.

Should be spring Chinook in some of the pen rivers and some steelhead. Sol Duc and the Hoh rivers will have a springer run. Call Larry Scott with westside guide service 1-360-640-0546 he's top notch over there. Great guy.

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie that about the worse time to visit the area for river fishing. Earlier and you could get into late steelies, later and you have salmon. I'm not sure there's any rivers you can fish in May. All the trout seasons close, at the latest, April 30. Surf perch or bottom fishing off the jetty's are about it. If you can move it back a bit late April is a ton of fun to fish steelies on the upper rivers.

Should be spring Chinook in some of the pen rivers and some steelhead. Sol Duc and the Hoh rivers will have a springer run. Call Larry Scott with westside guide service 1-360-640-0546 he's top notch over there. Great guy.

Awesome. I looked at their website. I'll give them a call and stop in at the very least. Given our lakeside cottage, I'm thinking slinging streamers for trout & kokanee from the dock, and possibly rivers if open.

Neffa - I'd love to get out earlier, but we'll be at the tail end of our legislative session and I'll be working, unfortunately. My wife loves May in the OP for the hiking and flowers. She puts up with my crazy schedule during the session, so it's the least I can do. :)

Ah, well if you ever get the opportunity the OP in Feb/March can be unreal. Especially after a long told winter. And steelies on the Sol Duc and Bogi can be great. Keep an eye out on the WDFW razor clams, I think we had our last digs in May last year.

Ben
I live on the Sol Duc river, about 45 minutes from where you are staying. May is a bit of a shoulder season here, but some fishing to be done.
Halibut and bottomfish charters out of Neah Bay or LaPush. Jim Richeson out of LaPush. Jambo out of Neah Bay, but there are others.
Most rivers are closed, but Sol Duc and Quilayute will be open for Spring chinook and early Summer steelhead. Larry Scott is a very good gear fishing guide.
If you're interested in flyfishing, that is my specialty. I've been guiding here for 38 years. Always happy to help. We head to Dillon in late Spring, but should still be here in May.
.jd

I didn't fish much when I visited there, but the folks in they fly shop in Port Angeles were fairly welcoming and are probably worth a call. Waters West Fly Fishing. I really enjoyed the Staircase area at the head of Lake Cushman, over on the east side of the OP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back