Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ok, somebody help me out here.

huntlife

Im really considering moving to montana! The tag process confuses me. Here is arkansas when you buy your license, it comes with all the tags. And, its otc!!! So, in MT when can I start applying? I have looked at the regs, and Im still a little confused. I know some areas for elk are draw only and some are otc. Same with deer. Bears seem to all be otc. Moose, sheep, and mountain goats seem like a very long shot to get (but I will apply though). On the deer, is it good for one muley OR one whitetail, or is there a way to get one of each? On elk, I think all the "B" tags are cows only, right? Can I get a bull tag and a cow tag? Thanks for any help!!!!

A deer tag is good for either a muley or a whitetail buck, not both. Elk B tags are for cows only. You can get a general elk tag and shoot either a bull or a cow with that tag- depending on the area.

dont get intimidated. Not as tough as it looks. Become a resident. Then by the time hunting season comes around you will have learned a lot more and go hunting. Don't worry about building points this year cause you won't be an eligible resident in time to apply. Mfwp are good people and answer all your questions. A deer tag is buck tag muley or white tail b tags are more specific. There is a lot to know but a lot you will learn living there talking to friends and co workers. Oh and this site lots of really smart folks on here. I'm sure some one can answere this thread better then me.

I know clear as mud right. Hope I helped biggest thing is becoming a resident! You have to live there for something like 9 months to purchase resident licenses so the sooner the better. Other wise you could end up buying no resident tags

Just like in AR, you buy your resident tag over-the-counter. Best deal comes in the Sportsmen's package. That includes:

Hunting
Fishing
Conservation Stamp
Deer
Elk
Upland bird
Bear is optional

Those tags are good for all the general units in the state.

If you want to apply for limited entry pronghorn/deer/elk/moose/goat/sheep tags, the basics above are all you need to apply, plus your application fee.

Thanks for the info. It helped a lot. I'm going to try to get moved by the end of February. I haven't decided where for sure I'll be moving to yet. With what I do, I'm pretty sure I can find a job, so I'm not worried about that. Plus, I do a lot of taxidermy work, so that helps too.

You can get a buck tag for muley or whitetail and then another doe tag, but only one buck. Same for elk you can get a bull tag and then an extra cow tag. I believe the time to qualify for resident is six months. So your probably not going to be able to apply. Just wait and buy tags over the counter. Most doe and cow tags are on a draw but you will be able to find some areas where you can get them over the counter after the draws.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back