MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ohio gobbler

Elkoholic

Our season opened Monday but today was my first chance to get out. The Gobblers were talking like crazy on roost and after hitting the ground for about 30mins, then not another peep. After an uneventful 2hrs and flipping through pages of the latest Bugle magazine a hen popped out of the timber. Total of 4 hens with this Tom strutting his stuff, he put on a great show for 20mins. As the hens worked closer to my set up I sensed they were starting to get skiddish , just as they were about to head out I finally got a hen free opening to harvest the Tom. 35yd shot, 21lbs, 9" Beard, 3/4" Spurs, not the biggest of birds but a fine trophy to my liking. Not the best pic but self shot with cell. Good luck to all chasing these critters this spring!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 164
Watching nature is a great part of turkey hunting for me. Congratulations on getting a pretty bird.

Congratulations on a good looking bird!
You mentioned how quiet they were off the roost. Same thing we're experiencing in NC. I have heard more birds gobble in one morning in past years than I have all season this year, which has been in for 3 weeks.
I'll take the latest copy of Bugle magazine with me next time!

Congrats on the gorgeous eastern! The same thing is true where I've hunted Nebraska the past few years....especially when it's windy. Toms gobble like crazy on the roost but are silent almost all day on the ground. It certainly makes it tougher locating them during the day....and easy to spook them if you don't know their location.

Very nice! I really like that last pic. I'll be stealing that idea for the next time I shoot one.

Great job Dave, now all you need is a nice black colored bear and your spring will be complete!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back