Oh my god

lilbiggun

Today the wife showed me a hide of an average bear (5-6ft) that was shot by a 416 with what looked like partitions (or similair type of bullet). the exit hole was about 14" diameter. You could literally put your head through it without it touching your head (I know this because a guy she works with did it). I guess IF it moved after that the blood trail would be easy to follow :D

That is way to big of a gun...Is the guy afraid what ever he shoots will get away...LOL....If the shot placement is right..Even a small gun is very effective.. :D

Depending on the exit angle, sometimes the bullet rips the skin, rather than making a clean hole. I once shot an antelope and the bullet deflected after breaking the shoulder and tore a 10-inch long rip in the throat. I had to buy a cape to get it mounted. It wasn't too much gun in that case, it was just the angle of exit ran parallel to the hide for a while.

It very well could have been ripped by the angle it was shot. It looks like it was shot from a stand or from up-hill. The bullet entered up by the shoulders and exited behind the left shoulders. All I know is that it was a big hole from a bullet.

Something sounds funky here?!?!?!? ;)
I have taken a number of animals with a 378 Wtby, 416 Rigby, and 460 Wtby. Almost always the exit hole is the size of your thumb with a trench augered all the way through. It sounds like either a really strange angle caused some strange damage, a really crappy bullet completely came apart (which I experienced with my 378 one time) or the person skinning was a little bit wild with the knife. :D :D Happy hunting, Casey

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back