F-ing copperheads!

Do some fact checking, that statement is not correct.
You are correct. States with copperheads where it is illegal to kill them:

Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee, Arkansas, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Virginia.

Guess I just spent too much time growing up places it was technically illegal.

Update:
She did nothing yesterday but sleep. Didn’t want to eat, drink, follow me around, nothing.

This morning she went on a long walk (seemed like moving her legs helped move her mind), had a belabored poo (backed up from meds), took her meds wrapped in bread and squirrel meat, then wolfed down her breakfast. 👍

Swelling has decreased significantly. Bite area starting to look a little gnarly. Happy with how things are going.

8D5A3CAC-A704-41B9-A11C-EDB4B6BC9199.jpeg
3E06E039-79A3-406B-AB89-A835DC327FAE.jpeg

Update:
She did nothing yesterday but sleep. Didn’t want to eat, drink, follow me around, nothing.

This morning she went on a long walk (seemed like moving her legs helped move her mind), had a belabored poo (backed up from meds), took her meds wrapped in bread and squirrel meat, then wolfed down her breakfast. 👍

Swelling has decreased significantly. Bite area starting to look a little gnarly. Happy with how things are going.

View attachment 287109
View attachment 287110
Poor darling. Praying for ya both

Haven’t seen it back out yet. I think I may try the glue traps out in front of the hole. ☝️ It does have me watching my step around there.
Yeah... Definitely keep your eyes peeled. I've cleaned up 100s if not more garter snakes with a manchette. But I think a snake that bit your dog deserves a 12g at least!

Last week I happened to look out the back window before letting the pups out.
This rattler was actually trying to swallow a dead starling that had whacked the window the night prior.
I introduced him to gardening with a hoe.

The next day a neighbor killed one next to his porch. The day after, my other neighbor killed another rattler in front of his house.

Guy across the road was bit by a rattler when stepping off his porch two years ago.

We have quite a few in our valley out here in WY. None get a pass that are in the vicinity of my house though.

Glad the pup is okay... but I personally wouldn't rest easy until the snake was taken care of.
IMG_5176.jpeg

Last edited:
I always have Benydril in my upland vest when pheasant hunting in Montana. Swelling kills more dogs than venom. Shove five or six pills into the pooch. I'm told it's about impossible to overdose them.

The good news is this dog has had a crash course avoidance class. Should greatly reduce the potential for recurrence. A regular course would probably have been a lot cheaper.

My girl got bit by a copperhead today. I was in the garage getting ready to push the boat out when I hear her yelp, see her jump back, then watch her high tail it out of sight. I thought it may have been yellow-jackets, until I walk closer and see a good sized one coiled up. I grab a shovel from the corner and by the time I come back it has crawled in a hole that goes back under the slab. I need vengeance, but I know that snake/rat hole probably bifurcates into a maze and there’s no way to dig it out. I pour some gas down it, let it sit a minute then light it. Poof! It blows dirt and a toad out, but no snake.

I go check on the dog. She is hiding under my truck, wide eyed and shook. I look her over good and can’t find any blood or bite holes. She would be licking where she got struck, and she’s not, just standing there dazed, so I think it may just have struck at her and scared her. I go back to hooking up the boat. I pull it around the driveway and see her on the porch, and it is instantly apparent where she got bit. The right side of her muzzle is swollen and she has a 6” strand of drool coming down. She is starting to pant so we take her to the emergency vet in case her airway gets constricted.

On the drive she is starting to really swell up, spreading down into her neck, so I put the hazards on and floor it. With the combination of hazards and flashing my lights everyone in the fast lane gets the idea and moves over for me … except this one a$$hole who wouldn’t get over no matter what I did. Right lane is full, just him in front of me going the same speed as the other, me honking my horn and flashing my lights and he just ignores me for the next 2 miles until the exit. 🤬 I am pissed, and when I get over and come up beside him I express my displeasure and he flicks me off. I don’t know what else I could do to let him know this was an emergency.

Anyway, get to the vet and they get the swelling under control, bloodwork to test clotting and coagulation time, pain meds, prescription for antibiotics, and not too much $$ later we’re headed home.

She’s drugged up, oozing rust colored blood, and still pretty swollen, but she should be okay.

F-ing copperheads.

View attachment 286984
View attachment 286985
View attachment 286986
Poor thing. This is my fear hunting with my buddy.

My old Squirt got bit by a rattler a number of years ago. Leg swelled up like a baseball bat but vet gave him a shot and a couple days latter it was all right. My Stormy got bit by one last august, bite in a fat pocket on his leg. Laft a big open spot and swelling. This past July the open spot finally grew back and now he has feather's growing out the front of his leg. swelling sitll there and he's licking a lot. back to the vet and another shot and some pills and today the swelling has gone down quite a bit. I'm guessing that fat pocket held onto the venom quite a while. Picture was a couple days after it happened.

Squirt's went away pretty quick but didn't realize Stormy had got bit for a few days and probably got to the vet late. Wasn't enough skin left on his leg to sew the wound shut and that probably didn't help. Happened down the river while I was fishing. haven't let them go fishing with me since then as to afraid of another snake bite. I don't hunt birds here until we've had enough cold weather to put them in for the year. coming 34 years and Stormy is only the second snake bite! Lucky!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back