Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

****OFFICIAL****2024 SPRING BEAR THREAD

the bait with a cell cam was busy last night but nothing big. Tomorrow I’ll go up and check both baits out. I am still debating between rebaiting and going gone more week or pulling things and being done for the spring.

You cannot do this to us @Sask hunter
You are toying with us. Playing with our emotions.....We want to live vicariously through you harvesting one of those tanks you have been teasing us with.
Get it done Sask. Pray for the right wind, and show us some pictures. We believe in you brother!

Last edited:
the bait with a cell cam was busy last night but nothing big. Tomorrow I’ll go up and check both baits out. I am still debating between rebaiting and going gone more week or pulling things and being done for the spring.

The wind's been atrocious lately, glad I managed to connect before it turned to poo. Don't give up my guy!

Got down to 40 last night and supposed to do the same tonight. Going to put the bears back into hibernation lol

I had come to terms with being done for spring bears. Then he came back today with a sow. I am shocked baits been dead. Basically been one sow only. So tomorrow I plan to hunt if the weatherman is right on his wind predictions. Could be a boring sit with the bait being so slow. Most likely I’ll see nothing. If I do see a bear most likely will be the one I’m after

IMG_2298.jpegIMG_2296.jpegIMG_2297.jpeg

Thank you to all who've posted here. This thread has been a daily reading for my son and I. Has both of us wanting to head to Montana next spring. Thanks again.

I too finally get to contribute to this thread for the first time! About a year ago, I got a special invitation from fellow HT member, Bill Zent, to come out to Idaho for a bear hunt. Bill and I have been chatting on HT, emails and phone calls for over five years and never been able to meet in person. He helped with some tips when my daughter shot her first bear in UT 5 years ago. I took this opportunity firstly to make a new friend and see a part of the country that I’ve never been to before. My daughter asked if she could come along when my wife wasn't able to get away for that long nor did she want much to do with scary bears honestly.
We met Bill on Saturday afternoon and went up the mountain to an area that he used to bait several years ago. We set out some bait in two areas. By morning we were super excited to check the cameras but not expecting much activity. Much to our surprise both had been hit already. Sunday evening we hunted and passed on a shaggy ugly bear but really enjoyed seeing one so close. We baited and hung stands the next 4 days, and my daughter was a huge help! The next 3 days after passing on the shaggy one we saw no bears from the stands, and of course they showed up at our other stand each time no matter where we were at. Thursday evening when we were getting down to the end of shooting light my daughter who was hanging in a tree saddle and staring down at the ground out of boredom watched a bear walk right under our tree. She quickly tapped me and pointed down. She was going to help me decide if I should shoot or not and I whispered, "yes or no", her asnwer was "sure". As the bear walked towards the bait I drew, it turned broadside and put it's front feet up on a log at 17 yards and I let the arrow fly. It hit with a huge crack and the bear made about 4 big leaps, spun in one circle and was dead just that fast. What a rush!
I couldn't have done this without Bill's help and guidance, and my daughters drive and energy to keep pressing on and working hard to get bait and stands up the mountain. Bill also loaned us a four wheeler when ours had an operator error issue. Bill's wife even made us lunch two days and let us shower at their place twice as well. Both were much needed :) This was an amazing adventure and I’m so grateful to Bill, Mrs. Z, my daughter, and also Big Fin for creating a place for guys like us to meet each other and have the opportunity to share the things we love with each other. My daughter and I had an absolute blast and created a lot of fun memories together. Thanks again to everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_1905.png
    IMG_1905.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1907.png
    IMG_1907.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
I too finally get to contribute to this thread for the first time! About a year ago, I got a special invitation from fellow HT member, Bill Zent, to come out to Idaho for a bear hunt. Bill and I have been chatting on HT, emails and phone calls for over five years and never been able to meet in person. He helped with some tips when my daughter shot her first bear in UT 5 years ago. I took this opportunity firstly to make a new friend and see a part of the country that I’ve never been to before. My daughter asked if she could come along when my wife wasn't able to get away for that long nor did she want much to do with scary bears honestly.
We met Bill on Saturday afternoon and went up the mountain to an area that he used to bait several years ago. We set out some bait in two areas. By morning we were super excited to check the cameras but not expecting much activity. Much to our surprise both had been hit already. Sunday evening we hunted and passed on a shaggy ugly bear but really enjoyed seeing one so close. We baited and hung stands the next 4 days, and my daughter was a huge help! The next 3 days after passing on the shaggy one we saw no bears from the stands, and of course they showed up at our other stand each time no matter where we were at. Thursday evening when we were getting down to the end of shooting light my daughter who was hanging in a tree saddle and staring down at the ground out of boredom watched a bear walk right under our tree. She quickly tapped me and pointed down. She was going to help me decide if I should shoot or not and I whispered, "yes or no", her asnwer was "sure". As the bear walked towards the bait I drew, it turned broadside and put it's front feet up on a log at 17 yards and I let the arrow fly. It hit with a huge crack and the bear made about 4 big leaps, spun in one circle and was dead just that fast. What a rush!
I couldn't have done this without Bill's help and guidance, and my daughters drive and energy to keep pressing on and working hard to get bait and stands up the mountain. Bill also loaned us a four wheeler when ours had an operator error issue. Bill's wife even made us lunch two days and let us shower at their place twice as well. Both were much needed :) This was an amazing adventure and I’m so grateful to Bill, Mrs. Z, my daughter, and also Big Fin for creating a place for guys like us to meet each other and have the opportunity to share the things we love with each other. My daughter and I had an absolute blast and created a lot of fun memories together. Thanks again to everyone!
Well done! I had a feeling that you were going to get one. Nice black one, too! So many color phase bears there black ones are almost hard to find! Congrats!

Back