PEAX Equipment

Valle Vidal Spring Bear Hunt 2023

Ya thats what i meant if you measured with meat on as in picture you will lose more then just shrinkage, if your concerned about score then clean as soon as possible and get the 60 days done with. could use beetles if you no of some close to you. But as said a beauty bear no matter what.
Not to worried about losing much on my width. But gonna lose a fair bit on my length cause of cartilage and meat

How should I fix the backstraps? Pan fry or grill? And how for you guys that shoot alot of bear (previous years it appears like) season them up?😂

How should I fix the backstraps? Pan fry or grill? And how for you guys that shoot alot of bear (previous years it appears like) season them up?😂

Trichinosis possibilities should be at the back of your mind when eating bear and other predators. CDC says 160F for safety.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/hunters.html#:~:text=Properly handling and cooking meat,of doneness for game meat.

The older the bear, the more likely it has been parasitized by the trichenella organism/s. Trichinosis most likely won’t kill you, but you will feel very ill. Sorta like the flu, but instead of your joints aching from a viral flu, along with fever, chills and malaise, it’s the muscle pain fever, chills and malaise. That muscle pain is from all those nasties embedding their cysts into your muscle.

I have decided that I’m not gonna eat or serve under-heated bear meat. Stew, roast and sausage cooked to temp for me.

PS: ….it’s the CDC, why shouldn’t we take them at their word??

Trichinosis possibilities should be at the back of your mind when eating bear and other predators. CDC says 160F for safety.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/hunters.html#:~:text=Properly handling and cooking meat,of doneness for game meat.

The older the bear, the more likely it has been parasitized by the trichenella organism/s. Trichinosis most likely won’t kill you, but you will feel very ill. Sorta like the flu, but instead of your joints aching from a viral flu, along with fever, chills and malaise, it’s the muscle pain fever, chills and malaise. That muscle pain is from all those nasties embedding their cysts into your muscle.

I have decided that I’m not gonna eat or serve under-heated bear meat. Stew, roast and sausage cooked to temp for me.

PS: ….it’s the CDC, why shouldn’t we take them at their word??

This study finds safe at 120 after 6 hours

CDC is temp for instant death at one location and therefore wildly high. Folks should always be safe and do their own research, but the general concept with Tich is TIME + Temp.

Medium rare for a couple of hours in a sousvide bath is totally safe.

This study finds safe at 120 after 6 hours

CDC is temp for instant death at one location and therefore wildly high. Folks should always be safe and do their own research, but the general concept with Tich is TIME + Temp.

Medium rare for a couple of hours in a sousvide bath is totally safe.
Love the additional input @wllm

I like to do salt, pepper, some garlic, and onion powder Though I think whatever rub you like will probably work great. All my bears have tasted great, but you won't know till you try the first piece.
Ya thinking of doing it on the pit barrell. And cooking it slow and adding some olive oil to it to help keep it moist along with some seasonings like you said there. And then maybe marinate it some to. I don't have a souvide deal but I do have a pot and a thermometer...

I like to do salt, pepper, some garlic, and onion powder Though I think whatever rub you like will probably work great. All my bears have tasted great, but you won't know till you try the first piece.
Cause of that my spring bears become sausage. I haven’t had a bad fall bear yet but I have only ever shot one fall bear.

I don't know how I missed seeing all this until just now. Wow. Congrats and thanks for sharing. Awesome bear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back