Off-season project - 7mm Rem Mag

I didn't see it mentioned. What twist is this barrel?

A thread like this is too tempting for us Hammer groupies.

Hammers are magical in the 7mm RM. My 9 1/2 twist 26" gives me 3550 fps without breaking a sweat with the 131 HH. I stopped at the first accurate node and didn't even push the pressure. 1/2 MOA all day if I keep it clean.
Shooters are coming around to the hyper velocity thing. mtmuley

Seems like every year I trade in a gun and get a new one. I've shot a lot of guns in my life and some were better than others, but I really wanted to find a 'perfect' gun. Or maybe I just am bored and want to build up a new gun.

I had a 300 Weatherby that I really like. Only issue I have is getting ammo without having it shipped to me. I thought my custom 30-06 was it, but I wanted more juice.

After mowing over the idea for a few months, I think I have found the solution that fits me. When I first started, my first two guns were a .270 and a 7 mag. Both are great cartridges, and while my favorite is the .270, I opted for the 7 mag, almost from scratch.

Pieces I'm putting together:
Weatherby Vanguard Sportsman's Edition. Picked it because it's fluted (I like the way it looked), 2" shorter than the standard mag barrel length and it's cerakoted. I will remove the weird paint job on the floor plate and find someone that can put a custom paint job on it. I'm a Weatherby frog, I know.
Stockey Stocks M50 carbon fiber stock. It's a raw stock with sponge paint. I will clear coat it after I'm done cleaning it. It came from my first build. Has the upgraded limbsaver recoil pad.
Timney trigger. Nuff said.
Vortex Viper 4x16x50 HSLR. It's been a reliable scope for me. I may swap this and put it on my 300 WBY and replace it with a Leica or Zeiss. Or do nothing. Bubble level and switch lever installed
Warne rings and pic rails. Had good luck with them and Talley, so I'll just reuse them.
Haven't decided on the rifle sling yet, but probably something narrow and rubbery that prevents slip. I have a Quake but it's not my favorite.
Debating on a muzzle break but would prefer not to use one if I don't need to. I'll have to field test it all once it's bedded.
Wayne's Dog cheek rise. Dont ask, I found it on amazon and it seemed to fit the bill. The inserts it came with dont fit the stock, so I put scope lens rags underneath to raise it.

Slogan Outdoors Ultraflex sling is the best if you like rubber IMO

Well I guess I better give a relevant update here. The stock is stripped down, recoil pad and swivel studs off. Right now, I’m debating on sanding my sponge paint off and doing a solid color, responge and clear coat. Just depends on if I like the raw carbon look.

Bedding kit has arrived from wheeler. Paid more than what I should have but it’ll work.

Rifle is taking a little longer to get here. Should have been here by Friday but is delayed to Monday. I expect to have it by Tuesday.

I shopped around for a timney trigger and found one for 30% off. Pretty tickled about it.

I got a sling coming thanks to @TN2shot07 . Recommended a sling that checks a lot of boxes and got it for 15% off.

Pictures to come. Waiting for the rifle to come first.

Steve: What are you pushing the .257 92 g HH?
Me: 3480
Steve: That’s loafing.
Ken -

How do you like that hammer, have you taken anything with it? I saw weatherby just started loading them too. I don’t shoot mine much because I’m cheap but the ttsx’s worked well, thinking about giving them a run when they become available

Love my 7mag, I got it at an auction for $600 (because it's a southpaw)

Remington action with a timney trigger
Threaded Krieger Barrel
McMillan McWoody Stock
Fitting work etc probably over $1800 into the rifle.

Shoots lights out suppressed.

Ken -

How do you like that hammer, have you taken anything with it? I saw weatherby just started loading them too. I don’t shoot mine much because I’m cheap but the ttsx’s worked well, thinking about giving them a run when they become available
Like em TN...like Barnes also. I'm still working on a 7MM 131 HH load for the #1, in the meantime the 140 TTSX print touching holes. The 700 .257 Wby loves the 92g HH. My son now owns the 300RUM that Dan Coffin built...sub minute with 181 HH @3280. Got some crazy speeds out of 30 cal 178 Hammer Absolutes but the Hunters, to me, have been more reliably accurate and plenty fast enough. Can't say enough about Hammer's customer support...dial a number and get a voice, more often than not Steve himself. Damn'd refreshing.

Haven’t given the bullet selection much thought yet. I typically just shoot whatever the gun likes. As a rule of thumb, I try to shoot the heaviest bullet I can while still maintaining good velocity down range. I don’t hand load but have thought about it, just don’t have the equipment, skill or confidence to try yet.

I have some terminal ascends that I purchased some time ago that I will start with. If the gun isn’t happy, I’ll probably bump up to Nosler e-tip since any gun I’ve ever own always seemed to like anything Nosler made.
I bought a Kimber Mtn Ascent in 7mm RM about a year and a half ago. For factory loads, it liked both the 155-gr terminal ascents and the 160-gr trophy bonded tips. Took a nice Montana muley with the TA at 182 yds. Deer went 10 yds and dropped. That said, I was getting right at 1.05 MOA out to 300 yds but wanted something a little better. Started handloading and found Hornady's 150-gr CX. Have tracked 160 shots with my final load and worst spread was 0.52 MOA, best was 0.28 MOA, and averaging 0.48 MOA out to 300 yds (longest I can shoot and recover targets). Muzzle velocity is 3155 fps (avg). Ballistics is holding dead on out to 800-yds against 6-inch steel targets. Not braked but recoil is very manageable. If you can, I would highly recommend handloading - factory options in 7mm RM seem to be getting fewer and fewer and this caliber really benefits from custom load development. Just my $0.02.

Have to say, some of the 2-300 yard poi metrics posted on this thread are jaw dropping, to me. I need to practice longer.

One more posit & I’ll shut up; custom etched dials have married more brands to rifles and paper than a Las Vegas storefront preacher.
I never really got that. With the changes in temp and elevation, I always reran my dope cards and it seems the farther the shot, the difference in turret changes. Those dials aren’t cheap either.

I never really got that. With the changes in temp and elevation, I always reran my dope cards and it seems the farther the shot, the difference in turret changes. Those dials aren’t cheap either.
Swaro makes a ballistic turret where you just stack the rings. Arrive at your new destination and you can make the adjustment, no $100 engraved turrets

One more posit & I’ll shut up; custom etched dials have married more brands to rifles and paper than a Las Vegas storefront preacher.
It's a dangerous way to live in my opinion. Maybe even more so than the paper plate at 100 yds guys. Basically trying to cheat at learning your rifle the old fashioned way, and that bothers me. I'll spend my money on ammo and true my own dope any day of the week

Back