NV Big Game seasons are posted.

Good luck to all, hope to get a few tags this year with the points the wife and I have.

Had a dream I pulled every tag I applied for in NV. Financial ruin and an excellent season are in store for me.

Hi, my daughter just moved to Nevada and we have no knowledge of the state and where to start. Any units someone might suggest to look into for deer? My first thoughts after reading the reg's were looking at units 61-68 or 221/223. Looking for decent public access to have an enjoyable hunt. This year it will be bonus points for the rest until we learn about the state. Any suggestions?

Taxman,
Here is a start for you on looking at potential places to apply with draw odds.

http://ndow.org/hunt/resources/odds/index.shtm#deer

Since Nevada is 86% public land access is not usually an issue. Drawing a tag is.

Some advice:
Making a first post on a hunting forum asking about hunting spots is like going to a party where no one knows you and asking to get set up with a chick that will put out...The silence is deafening...

If you don't draw, year one might be best spent hunting Coyotes and Chukar in a variety of locations to get a feel for the country.

for archery hunts, the late 101-108 hunt is awesome. its in the ruby mountains in elko and thats where the muleys winter. early archery deer areas that are also great are areas 6, 7, 14. elk hunting is great in ely, jarbridge, and pioche. biggest population of elk are in ely, but the quality of bulls is a lil better in pioche. antelope are everywhere out here but 015 is a trophy area. best o luck

thanks for the info, not asking for specific spots just some general info on the state. I have read all of the unit reports on the website just trying to soak up as much info as possible.

Been doing lots of research as usual in the home state. Applied for everything I could except Horns Shorter than the ears for Antelope since I got a Longer last year and now have to wait 5yrs. However, Silver Lining...... Found a resident Elk zone for bull that is a 95% chance of drawing with my 5 points. Super stoked on that hope I have some luck. The wife should get a cow elk tag and possibly a deer tag, odds are over 65% for her on both of those with her points. Antelope for her is a crap shoot since I only put in for 3 spots. Hows everyone else looking? Anyone put in for Dream Tags or silver state? Price goes up quick if you keep putting in for everything.

Been looking and studying the available seasons that work with my work schedule....with 9 points for everything my chance at deer in a good unit is about 20%. Elk I'm at 8%, Desert sheep I'm at 2%. California sheep .4%.

Despite what the numbers tell me, I'm optimistic.

There are some much better percentages than 20 for deer for a good zone for out of state apps. Not sure what you are looking for in a buck though. Don't see Antelope on there not sure if you put in for them.

Im working towards getting a tag someday,,,does anybody know the animal quota numbers for 2012 yet,,,they were way under quota last year on tag #s especially for the deer,,,,maybe ill pull 1 this year if im lucky.

2012 Quotas will be set at the May commission meeting....well after you have applied :)

Dainer, I believe that they are mostly already set according to NDOW site. But that is just according to info I found on there. Looks like it will be up again next year and we can send in e-mails not that it helps much.

Huntbux - where are you seeing that the quotas have been mostly set? The way it usually works I'd NDOW goes and flies and checks on the herds, then submits a proposed quota to the commission. At that time the commission keeps or amends the numbers. Usually they post the proposed quota on the site, but I have not seen it yet. It will say 2012 quota in bold, next to the 2011 quota.

Back