Caribou Gear Tarp

Nuke Waste in Idaho, How does Ten Sleep at Night???

JoseCuervo

Hey Ten,

I thought you were going to start a topic on Nuke issues? What happened???

Here is an example of what happens when one place is cleaned up, the waste gets sent to Idaho....
rolleyes.gif

And then the Bush Administration refuses to move it out....
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Idaho Delegation backs state on waste removal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IDAHO FALLS -- U.S. Rep. Mike Simpson says Idaho´s delegation will listen to the Bush administration´s rationale for overturning a federal court order to permanently remove residual high-level waste from eastern Idaho.
But, Simpson said, "if it´s just money, that´s not the reason to do it."

"We´ll take the governor´s lead," he said.

Gov. Dirk Kempthorne´s top environmental officer has already joined three other states in reinforcing the position taken in court that all the waste must be removed.

Congress has yet to take any action on the Energy Department´s request to change the 1982 Nuclear Waste Policy Act by reclassifying high-level waste to low-level status so it can be disposed of more cheaply.

Federal officials said the July 3 ruling by U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill would impose a tremendous burden on taxpayers and jeopardize the cleanup schedule for the Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory and other sites around the nation.

The government has appealed the ruling to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The written arguments are scheduled to be submitted through mid-January.

The dispute is over disposal of 85 million gallons of high-level liquid waste stored in hundreds of tanks at INEEL, Hanford in Washington and Savannah River in South Carolina.

The government wants to take the final 1,000 gallons in each tank and mix it with grout so it can be left in place. Winmill agreed with the states and environmentalists that the 1982 law requires complete removal, including the residual sludge.

The material resulted from reprocessing spent nuclear fuel for bomb construction during the Cold War.

Environmental groups have asked Kempthorne and his environmental quality officials to revoke their approval of the Energy Department cleanup of two of the 11 tanks at INEEL. The state found that those tanks contained no radioactive material, but skeptics question whether the state can make that determination.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, GRINNER, you said I was gonna start a topic on NUKE issues.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I read that same AP article, thought you get a kick out of it.
yawn.gif

Ask the guys that say there's nothing wrong with NUKES for the answers since you didn't like my source against NUKES.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back