PEAX Equipment

Nothin down yet...

the nikster

I have hunted 6 of the last 9 days and I have had some success.
Day 1 I saw exactly 0 fresh tracks, mid 50's and sunny.
Day 2 I had 30 elk at 30 yards. 2 spikes and 1 5X5 bull-too small. Got 6" snow.
Day 3 0 elk, 0 deer, lots of miles-mid 30's
Day 4 0 elk, 0 deer, lots of miles-mid 30's
Day 5 off
Day 6 6 cows with a 5X5 early in the morning, 2 cows later, 8 or 9 antelope and 3 terrorist skunks. mid 40's windy
Day 7 35 cows with 9 spikes, 1 small 5X5, 1 tall skinny 6X6. Later I saw 3 big bulls, 1 HEAVY/LONG 5X5, 2 HEAVY/LONG 6X6 bulls. I would have taken 1 of the three but they were too far away.

I am not a hero but I would like a decent/huge animal. I found a nice funnel for saturday where I intend to spend most of the day. There should be more hunters in the area moving elk between drainages. The funnel is a timbered saddle between 2 draws that are both full of elk. I will have both my daughter and wife who wish to take cows along too.
I did crop the photo to protect the innocent. The elk were moving from national forest, across private land to more forest.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 150
pg 2

My hunting partner up a logging road and just a nice view of the forest...

Attachments

• hunting 2009 wk 1 019.JPG
    hunting 2009 wk 1 019.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 148
  • hunting 2009 wk 1 025.JPG
    hunting 2009 wk 1 025.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 157
pg 3

terror skunks and antelope

Attachments

• hunting 2009 wk 1 046.JPG
    hunting 2009 wk 1 046.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 151
  • hunting 2009 wk 1 052.JPG
    hunting 2009 wk 1 052.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 150
Looks like you're doing better than most in the area.

Do you drive a white dodge by chance?

I have done alright so far, could have harvested any of the bulls I have seen except the last 3 big ones yesterday. Could have filled dozens of cow tags. Still having a hard time putting eyes on a deer, but that was the word on the street from the beginning.
4 wheelers are being courteous and lawful in the area. A huge volume of horse traffic in the area. They cover alot more ground than I do so I am focusing on steep timber in areas away from the road (lazies). With all the snow on the north side where the timber is, walking is difficult and catching elk(even feeding elk) is almost impossible.
It seems the horsemen have pushed the elk into a fairly predictable location as I have found them there each time I have looked. I followed the big herd all the way to private land in hopes they might pick up a bigger bull but nothing showed. I was within 200 yards for almost 1.5 miles!
I have a silver dodge (looked white in the storm last tuesday!)Mulie Obsession sticker on the rear window. Thanks for the help.

I'll keep an eye out for ya. I was in the area today and ran into a guy who's kids had killed a couple cows, I really haven't heard of many other elk being taken.

Having a great time following along with your 09 hunt. Thanks for the pics and stories to cature the pic's!
Best of success to you and your hunting partner!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back