Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

North Yellowstone Flooding

Just so you that can't paddle know. It is a skill to do that not just pure adrenaline and that is a wicked rapid currently, but not that bad. It's a big rock and perfect Rollercoaster waves and no technical obstacles afterwards and no undercut banks. Crazy scale 6 out of 10.

Just so you that can't paddle know. It is a skill to do that not just pure adrenaline and that is a wicked rapid currently, but not that bad. It's a big rock and perfect Rollercoaster waves and no technical obstacles afterwards and no undercut banks. Crazy scale 6 out of 10.
In a big flood event, there's a ton of debris in the water. So maybe no technical obstacles, but getting nailed by a floating tree would still be a problem. I'm sure SAR is plenty busy with actual emergencies and shouldn't have to risk their lives to retrieve bodies.

In a big flood event, there's a ton of debris in the water. So maybe no technical obstacles, but getting nailed by a floating tree would still be a problem. I'm sure SAR is plenty busy with actual emergencies and shouldn't have to risk their lives to retrieve bodies.
Again underestimating the skill of these guys. These aren't novice paddlers. Most paddlers even novice know what they can run and can't run. 95 of 100 guys running that know what they are doing to a level a non paddler won't understand.

Again underestimating the skill of these guys. These aren't novice paddlers. Most paddlers even novice know what they can run and can't run. 95 of 100 guys running that know what they are doing to a level a non paddler won't understand.

OK, Mr. Expert, tell me why that nincompoop plowed right into that sick-looking jump rather than using it to get some killer air? TELL ME THAT!>!>!111.!><<<!<!!>??? Looks like a total n00b move to me.

I've gathered the similar input from others. In the comments to that reddit vid folks were confident that kayaker #1 was not one of those 95 guys that know what they were doing.

Until a tree shoots up from the bottom and gigs that kayak through, right between his knees.

OK, Mr. Expert, tell me why that nincompoop plowed right into that sick-looking jump rather than using it to get some killer air? TELL ME THAT!>!>!111.!><<<!<!!>??? Looks like a total n00b move to me.
Where did that guy end up? Granted he ran it poorly, but he probably knew his skill level enough to know he could recover below it if he missed his line.
It's human nature to rip people who do things others are not capable of or not skilled enough yet to do. I'm not gonna argue about it anymore.

As I understand it, Swift water rescue resources were being utilized and engaging in incidents in the county next door. Wouldn't surprise me if Gallatin's are also offering their assistance. Wouldn't surprise me if more aren't occurring right now.I am certainly a non-paddler and maybe these people are totally within reasonableness.

The river I saw yesterday (Yellowstone)was absolutely incalculable in terms of it's debris predictability. There were trees bobbing, disappearing, reappearing, etc. Maybe on the Gallatin that is less of an issue due to it not flowing through as much cottonwood bottoms. The Yellowstone River in Park County is flat out closed to all recreation.

Where did that guy end up? Granted he ran it poorly, but he probably knew his skill level enough to know he could recover below it if he missed his line.
It's human nature to rip people who do things others are not capable of or not skilled enough yet to do. I'm not gonna argue about it anymore.
Yeah who cares if these folks no what they are doing. In fact who cares about them at all. They made their decisions, chips fall where they may is the way I see it. It should be totally against the law for them to request or receive assistance. Reminds me of the squirrel suits. Works great until it doesn’t

Nobody should be running the Yellowstone right now unless they have a death wish. The Gallatin is not experiencing unprecedented flows. House rock has been covered before and will be again.
As I understand it, Swift water rescue resources were being utilized and engaging in incidents in the county next door. Wouldn't surprise me if Gallatin's are also offering their assistance. Wouldn't surprise me if more aren't occurring right now.I am certainly a non-paddler and maybe these people are totally within reasonableness.

The river I saw yesterday (Yellowstone)was absolutely incalculable in terms of it's debris predictability. There were trees bobbing, disappearing, reappearing, etc. Maybe on the Gallatin that is less of an issue due to it not flowing through as much cottonwood bottoms. The Yellowstone River in Park County is flat out closed to all recreation.

Nobody should be running the Yellowstone right now unless they have a death wish. The Gallatin is not experiencing unprecedented flows. House rock has been covered before and will be again.
Because of the debris? What is specifically the danger for us folks that don’t know jack? I would be way more comfortable on the lower Yellowstone during high flows in a jet boat than the gallatin in a kayak right now.

Why do I get the feeling I won't be going to the park as planned next week when I'm in Montana ! Grrrr.....

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back