North Yellowstone Flooding

Because of the debris? What is specifically the danger for us folks that don’t know jack? I would be way more comfortable on the lower Yellowstone during high flows in a jet boat than the gallatin in a kayak right now.
The Gallatin isn't carrying houses and washed out bridges, but the Yellowstone is. In jet boat vs house, jet boat loses 9x out of 10 (although the other 1 would be pretty awesome to see). Freeboard at bridges on the Yellowstone is also a concern - can't speak to the Gallatin, but it's probably less of an issue. But my feeling is that adding risk to an emergency situation is irresponsible on either river. Could a person safely waterski in the road of New Orleans during Katrina? Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Because of the debris? What is specifically the danger for us folks that don’t know jack? I would be way more comfortable on the lower Yellowstone during high flows in a jet boat than the gallatin in a kayak right now.
Houses and bridges... what 4oh said. There is no historical data for these kind of flows on the Yellowstone. It's freaking biblical flooding..lol
The Gallatin has been here before. A lot of the guys running it right now don't even need to scout the rapid. They know the line, the secondary line, the pillow, the hydraulic, the drop, the Eddie's if the flow allows any, the escape route if all hell breaks loose. Granted all these things could not matter if you make the wrong mistake.
But it's not like a river runs through it and some high schoolers stealing the old man's boat and winging it.

I have never ran anything close to a historic event like this nor do I think that anybody should be either. That being said I know why the guy do it and I couldn’t wait for the water to get to flood stage and turn to chocolate milk, that was the only time we got good whitewater.

They didn't name it Rock Creek for nothing. I heard the bridge is gone at Roscoe too. True?
Bridge to Fishtail is def gone. Hadnt heard about Roscoe, thatd be a bummer as Stillwater, East Rosebud and West Rosebud trailhead would basocally be closed for the year (maybe West could be reached going round Stillwater to Nye then looping back round)

Yeah who cares if these folks no what they are doing. In fact who cares about them at all. They made their decisions, chips fall where they may is the way I see it. It should be totally against the law for them to request or receive assistance. Reminds me of the squirrel suits. Works great until it doesn’t
I get what you’re saying but many people would say the same about us hunters. Suppose you are in the backcountry and get mauled by a grizz or break your leg or back. You knew what the risks were….just let the chips fall?

I have never ran anything close to a historic event like this nor do I think that anybody should be either. That being said I know why the guy do it and I couldn’t wait for the water to get to flood stage and turn to chocolate milk, that was the only time we got good whitewater.
Man your a wuss. I was thinking about heading over there but sounds like I might have missed my opportunity. Darn it! I have an inflatable kayak. Would that have worked to launch off house rock? I was thinking maybe I would go higher and catch more sic air that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back