North Yellowstone Flooding

I disagree for at least a good part of SW Montana. There are still a lot of areas with a ton of snow. I think a lot of the water in the ruby/Jefferson/Madison valleys is due to great moisture the last few weeks. I believe west got 1.9” of rain just yesterday alone.
Yeah. It is rain on snow. Not just runoff from snowmelt.

I've seen it happen in the Sierra's in spring. All the snow melted below 8k and almost blew out Millerton. The whole valley flooded.

Going to be some serious construction on that road to get access back to Mammoth. The old access road from Mammoth to Gardiner actually goes up away from the river to the west of there. Wonder if they will open that back up and maybe even seriously consider making it the new road?
We always used to have that very same conversation. I never could figure out why the road wasn’t up on the mountain. It would’ve made Boiling actually fun, and it would’ve protected the sheep in the canyon from unnecessary disturbance. It will be interesting to see what they end up doing. Crazy, crazy stuff

My wife was supposed to go work at a camp in the Boulder River south of Big Timber. Sounds like that is now highly unlikely. 10000 cfs at Big Timber.

My wife was supposed to go work at a camp in the Boulder River south of Big Timber. Sounds like that is now highly unlikely. 10000 cfs at Big Timber.
A couple of the camps are far enough from the river that they are OK so it depends on which. Don’t know how bridges are holding up going up the valley tho.

Bridge to Fishtail south of Absarokee is done.

Hard to describe the flooding other than it has redefined what I thought a river was capable of. And it’s not over yet.

It was moving to drive through Livingston and see neighbors helping neighbors. Water over the highway east of town . And south of town highway closed. Forests floating down the river.
Word has it the new hospital isn't in such a good location.

Going to be a while before everything is rebuilt in the area. The weather is not over yet either, serious wet weather to the west headed that way.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back