Caribou Gear Tarp

Non-Residents hunting your State

The Montana way of looking at things seems to be we'll take what is ours first before sharing. So we make it difficult for NR hunters. The best way to hunt in Montana is to live in Montana.

If MtMiller figures are correct we've got 25 million acres of public land. I'm not sure how accessable all that land is but once you live hear you can enjoy exploring it and curse how all the animals are on the private land and that @$%# land owner only has to drive his pickup... But if hunting was only about killing we'd simply rent an air plane and shoot out of the plane or poison the watering hole or what ever. Thank goodness it is about the challenge and experience for most people. So if I were a NR and went through all the abusive crap it takes and then some to get a Montana trophy I'd sure treasure the accomplishment.

I am more worried about the resident hunters on public land than the non residents around here:) We might be on the east coast but we have some local knuckleheads.

It is a shame that the all the states seem to take turns jamming it to someone who lives elsewhere. Its almost if they think its fine as they wont see that person again. I know I don't treat a guest in my house like our state government treats anyone coming here...

I dont have a problem with Nonresidents, I have a problem with the amount of them. Thanks to our OTC Elk tags and overly generous 35% of Deer tags going to Nonresidents plus them buying the majority of Buck Landowner Vouchers, you can never seem to get away from people! In October you'd swear you were in Texas based on license plates on I-25 and Hwy 160.

I wont lie, I'd love to see Colorado go 90/10 Res / Nonres % just like other Western States. Getting on private land West of I-25 for big game is impossible and is fast going that way East of I-25 because of Outfitters and Nonresidents.

Like I said, I've got nothing against them, just the sheer number of them.

The Montana way of looking at things seems to be we'll take what is ours first before sharing. So we make it difficult for NR hunters. The best way to hunt in Montana is to live in Montana.

If MtMiller figures are correct we've got 25 million acres of public land. I'm not sure how accessable all that land is but once you live hear you can enjoy exploring it and curse how all the animals are on the private land and that @$%# land owner only has to drive his pickup... But if hunting was only about killing we'd simply rent an air plane and shoot out of the plane or poison the watering hole or what ever. Thank goodness it is about the challenge and experience for most people. So if I were a NR and went through all the abusive crap it takes and then some to get a Montana trophy I'd sure treasure the accomplishment.
Great Post!!

Great Post!!

He's an outfitter, of course he's going to say that.

I'm not sure how MT is any "greedier" than the rest of the western states with a 10% NR cap? At least they don't restrict NR from entering the wilderness like Wyoming does.

And nobody has explained to me how MT could sustain unlimited NR license sales yet?

MT offers a 6 week archery and 5 week rifle season for big game, and most units in the state are open to general tag holders. You guys need to quit complaining.

As a MT native, I see what's left when I go back. Outa staters have bought up everything so they can stop residents from getting to our public land. I present the Ruby Valley as one example, the Upper Ruby as another. Rich Kalifornia types (Ted Turner) are to blame. Used to be I could go anywhere in the Ruby's and stop and ask and be allowed to hunt. I grew up there and everyone knew Dick's son, me. Now it's "Who the heck are you again?" and "It'll cost you $$$$ for a trespass fee."

Colorado and it's "Ranching for Wildlife" is no better.

I personally don't have a problem with the blue collar outs stater. It's the rich sons of beavers I can do without.

RJ

As a MT native, I see what's left when I go back. Outa staters have bought up everything so they can stop residents from getting to our public land. I present the Ruby Valley as one example, the Upper Ruby as another. Rich Kalifornia types (Ted Turner) are to blame. Used to be I could go anywhere in the Ruby's and stop and ask and be allowed to hunt. I grew up there and everyone knew Dick's son, me. Now it's "Who the heck are you again?" and "It'll cost you $$$$ for a trespass fee."

Colorado and it's "Ranching for Wildlife" is no better.

I personally don't have a problem with the blue collar outs stater. It's the rich sons of beavers I can do without.

RJ

That's pretty much the way that I feel. I have to remember that when I go out of my home state, I'm a nonresident. I don't think that residency is really the issue as much as loss of access to what we consider our land and our game. In the east, where most of the land is private, this is a problem.

I grew up in Park Co. Mt and elk hunted Sphinx Cr. near Tom Miner. for years parking at the trail head was no problem and very seldom ever saw another vehicle. Then 1994-95 came and I could not even find a parking spot down there..The outfitters had the trucks, tents, horses, everthing everywhere. I had to park way down the road and hike to the trail head. Then about 2 hours into our hike up the mountain we were run off or runover by guides and horses jeez what a mess. Once up into what was once good hunting all I could do is watch as pushed the elk out of the area and onto private land which someother outfitter had leased up...
So I don't ever remember having bad feelings towards out of state hunters, more aggrevation towards the outfitters. Heck I was in school or had gone to school with most of there kids, who today those kids are running dads business. So in the end I had more frustration with the outfitters who came in and leased up all the land that I used to hunt with permission or soaking up a big portion of the public area's.

I have no problem at all with Non Res Aliens, that's you Americans, coming to Alberta to hunt. If I didn't have so many kids to take every year I'd look into hosting a couple of you guys every other year. What I have a problem with is waiting 2-10 or more years for a draw depending on the animal and you being able to come here every year and hunt without a draw.

I have no problem at all with Non Res Aliens, that's you Americans, coming to Alberta to hunt. If I didn't have so many kids to take every year I'd look into hosting a couple of you guys every other year. What I have a problem with is waiting 2-10 or more years for a draw depending on the animal and you being able to come here every year and hunt without a draw.

It usually comes down to the available resource and the demand. Be thankful you do not have to draw tags at home. If enough non res aliens where making the trek to Alberta there would be a draw at some point? Lets not wish for that! I have not been yet.

I thought you had to hire a guide in Canada to hunt as a non resident alien?

If that is the case, then your oufitters are really holding the cards up there if they can get their clients tags every year and you have to wait several years to draw.

mtmiller from the pictures I've seen in the past you put many Albertan's to shame. :)
Now that's not to rule out a little cross boarder in the future.

Khunter we do draw for the majority of our tags through out almost all the lower half of the Province. I'm 3-4 yrs on Muley, 5-7 on Antelope, 10 or better on Moose and maybe lucky to draw a once in a lifetime Goat. Whitetail, Elk and Sheep across the counter but there are serious talks under way to put Sheep on draw and put a wait time of several years between successful hunts.

Hell, I'd be happy as a NR alien to be able to come up there and hunt every 5 years or so on a drawing basis if I didn't have to hire an outfitter every time. Lemme see, I don't think you have to do that in 99% of places when you cross our border, do you? I personally don't have a problem at all with NR hunters when I see them in whatever state I am hunting. I am often the NR and have not experienced any problems with residents when I am in their state. I do think states should have reciprocal laws in the if I need a guide to hunt Wyoming wilderness, then Residents of Wyoming should need a guide when they hunt other states wilderness. Same goes for Ak or Canada, if I need a guide every time I cross the CA line to hunt big game, then a Canadian should need a guide every time he crosses the line into the US. Or an AK resident needs a guide to hunt sheep in the lower 48, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
The way i see it, If we didnt have dudes coming to montana to hunt how else would we sell all those gawdawful ugly australian cowboy hats?

The cost of a tag hasn't swayed me from going on a hunt. I have zero desire to hunt in Texas, even less desire to hunt public land in Texas...

Colorado is a waste of time. Its a gopher shoot on elk, and big ones are only found in the handful of premium units.

What I want to happen in AK is limit NR permits like ever other state. NR kill more brown bears than residents, and nearly as many sheep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back