Non-resident outfitter license (MT) Bill is up for hearing 2/2/2021 (SB 143)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would guess the internet, overcrowding in the east, an interest in "know where your food comes from", technology making public lands identification easier for out of staters, millions in industry marketing, hundreds of youtubers and tv sportsman shows, etc. etc. have contributed for the most part. But if "low" fees are part of it, then I say keeping them "low" helps the broader cause.
More recruitment.... mtmuley

Ever looked at what NR's were paying in the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and comparing what they pay now (taking inflation, average income, etc. into account)?

I'll take a guess and say no...or you wouldn't be carrying on like you are.

States have gone out of their way to keep NR's fees in reach of the "common man". Why do you think NR hunting is so much more popular NOW than it was 20-30-40 years ago?

SMH...
The price of NR licenses is very low on the list of reasons why it's so "popular" right now. SMH...

The price of NR licenses is very low on the list of reasons why it's so "popular" right now. SMH...
Exactly . Covid will go away , things will get back to a new normal and people will get busy and I really think app numbers 3-4 years from now will be substantially less than they are now

Exactly . Covid will go away , things will get back to a new normal and people will get busy and I really think app numbers 3-4 years from now will be substantially less than they are now
I only see apps going down if big game hunting is just a "fad" like post-Tiger golf. Millions entered the sport, billions were spent on courses, and the bubble popped. I am not expecting that, but it is not unheard of for the bandwagon jumper Americans to lose interest in something.

Honestly, i have ran into more out of state hunters back in the $hit that residents. Mt politics is a rich mans game at this time. Those of u that diy public land, i would look at other states for now. Honestly i hated out of state hunters and out of county guys. In my younger yrs. The thing is though everyone who hunts loves something that cannot be bought, sometimes not earned. Just being there with your family, friends or by yourself. Out of staters u are a huge part of the economy in mt. Really part of mt. ( the out of staters). Theres a better way than what is montana right now

Ever looked at what NR's were paying in the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and comparing what they pay now (taking inflation, average income, etc. into account)?

I'll take a guess and say no...or you wouldn't be carrying on like you are.

States have gone out of their way to keep NR's fees in reach of the "common man". Why do you think NR hunting is so much more popular NOW than it was 20-30-40 years ago?

SMH...

And yet, we still pay into NV annually hoping the odds increase up to 0.8% this year might afford us the opportunity to pay $1200 for an elk tag :ROFLMAO:

Definitely not the internet, social media, a pile of tag services, etc showing flatlanders that what seemed like a once in a lifetime opportunity can be easily accomplished on your own annually.

No incentive or reason for ANY state to give away their wildlife resources to NR's.
While I understand your points, NRs inject millions of dollars into FWP no? How is that not an incentive for any state vs giving away $20 elk tags to solely residents?

Also not arguing about being entitled to hunting animals in other states. I was just curious your take on having zero reason to let NRs hunt.

Last edited:
While I understand your points, NRs inject millions of dollars into FWP no? How is that not an incentive for any state vs giving away $20 elk tags to solely residents?

Also not arguing about being entitled to hunting animals in other states. I was just curious your take on having zero reason to let NRs hunt.

Can I hunt elk in ND as a NR?
Aren’t you making the same financial argument that the outfitters are making?

Has
Looks like you may get your wish.

Has anyone started a thread on HJ5?
I pulled a P-R info sheet off the legislative site. MT receives roughly $29M from PR every year. That provides nearly 30% of the FWP budget according to the 2019 budget numbers. MT benefits disproportionately because of its big land area and high hunter numbers. Residents contribute pennies on the dollar to that figure. This bill essentially cuts off your nose to spite your face. Maybe the goal is to reduce the FWP budget by 30%. Hard to see how that benefits resident sportsmen, outfitters, fishing guides, etc.

Has

Has anyone started a thread on HJ5?
I pulled a P-R info sheet off the legislative site. MT receives roughly $29M from PR every year. That provides nearly 30% of the FWP budget according to the 2019 budget numbers. MT benefits disproportionately because of its big land area and high hunter numbers. Residents contribute pennies on the dollar to that figure. This bill essentially cuts off your nose to spite your face. Maybe the goal is to reduce the FWP budget by 30%. Hard to see how that benefits resident sportsmen, outfitters, fishing guides, etc.

It's a resolution that carries no weight. It's stupid, and it's in response to the propose Biden gun tax, but PR got caught up in it as well, because the Sponsor is the kind of guy who is smarter than you, and he's going to prove it.

I hope it dies, and Nick's correct in his op-ed, but ultimately, it's a letter to Santa.

Can I hunt elk in ND as a NR?

My odds of drawing a bull elk tag in this damn state are pretty close to yours :ROFLMAO: Between my Dad and I, I think we are 0-50 lol. They should set aside at least one tag for NR's so they can donate too. I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer one tag in the near future as they are missing out on a lot of easy money.

It's a resolution that carries no weight. It's stupid, and it's in response to the propose Biden gun tax, but PR got caught up in it as well, because the Sponsor is the kind of guy who is smarter than you, and he's going to prove it.

I hope it dies, and Nick's correct in his op-ed, but ultimately, it's a letter to Santa.
Thanks Ben. Just to clarify, is it something that we should pursue aggressively or something with so little support from other members that it is little more than a pr statement the rep can use to show his constituents that he stood up for the 2nd amendment? Given the barrage of bills coming out of this legislature and my inexperience I can’t tell.

Looks like you may get your wish.

Wow - just read the bill. Even the most ardent 2A supporters should be embarrassed at the shockingly little understanding of the constitution (broader than just 2A), the law and our representative democracy shown in this document. The logic behind this is beginning to smack of the made-up approach to legal analysis that the freeman-on-the-land and QAnon show. If these 8 sponsors are the best MT has to offer, then folks may want to move to ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back