Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Non-Bonded Bullets options

prhunter

I'm sure this topic has been covered before but I'm seeking your input in what Non-Bonded bullets are good for general hunting purposes. What has your experience been using Core-Lokts, Power-Shocks, Ballistic Tips, etc.???

Thank you all in advance.

Most bullets are not bonded.
I like the SST and the Nosler BT bullets for most all game ,out to 400yrds.

Killed a lot of deer with core-lokts back in the day. I also shot plenty with Federal Power shocks too. If I had to choose factory ammo and 1 bullet based on cost per round it would be Federal Blue box stuff.

My experience has been with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Berger VLD Hunting.
The Ballistic Tip will generally stay together and give an exit wound.
Totally blew out an opposite side shoulder on a buck, by not realizing he was slightly pointed away from me at 125 yards with a Ballistic Tip.
Never had to track a deer though.

The Berger performed well also. Bullet sized entry hole, with no exit on large doe at 400 yards. Totally obliterated heart and both lungs. Still don't know how she made it the 20 yards that she did. Looked like i shot a red spray can when i got to the area.
Found bullet jacket just under offside hide.

I have to jump on the Interlock band wagon. I have never had a rifle that did not shoot them extremely well and I have killed over 200 deer (kind of lost count), a few elk and some antelope with them. I tend to prefer Partitions for elk, but Interlocks do just fine for that.

Are you talking reloading components, or factory ammo?

I’ve shot critters with Interlocks and Ballistic Tips. Both are accurate in my loads and rifles. Using Partitions this year though for everything.

I vote for a tts Barnes bullet , don't know if it counts as Bonded or not.
We use it in every thing from 223 to 338/378 and even in my 4570.
OUT STANDING!

My experience has been that pretty much all modern hunting bullets perform really well when you use an appropriate weight at an appropriate velocity. I've had great experiences with Core Lokts and Ballistic Tips. I would feel comfortable using either on tough critters like elk, as long as it was a pretty heavy-for-caliber bullet at a reasonable velocity and I wasn't pushing the limits of a particular chambering.

I have shot a lot of deer and a few elk with interlocks starting back when they were called spire point's. Pretty much been my go to bullet for a lot of years. First elk with my 6.5x06 was going to be a Nosler 140gr partition. Turned out I used the Hornady interlock 140gr and one shot, one down. I can't give a reason not to use interlocks. But my old 7mm mag many years ago shot Speer hot core's more accurately so I went with them. That hot core in my opinion is one heck of a bullet, right there with the interlock. In fact that core on the hot core does not shoot loose. Far as I'm concerned it's a bonded type bullet at cup and core prices. Never shot a core lock in my life but have heard so much good about then I wouldn't hesitate to used them if need be. I have never shot the Sierra pro hunter at game but lot of guy's seem to like them. My favorite accuracy bullet is the Serria MK. The only place I'd consider a plastic tip bullet is in a monolithic bullet. In anything else that tip is driven into the bullet and I don't care for that idea. In a monolithic bullet it insure's the bullet will open rather than close up.

Tell me what happen's to the tip?
It is driven into the bullet initiating expansion. Where's the problem? If you think monos need a tip, do some research on Hammer bullets. Or the original TSX. I've been shooting tipped bullet's for over 20 years. How much have you used them? mtmuley

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back