Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

I'm going to Kenai, Alaska....

jeffpg

I'm a safety manager for a turnaround group and we have a work project that will run all of April and half of May this year, so I volunteered to go. I am blessed to have traveled a good chunk of the planet but I have never been to Alaska. I know there's a lot of experience here so I'm seeking advise on how to make the most of my time there. While the project is running, I'll put in 13 hours a day, 7 days a week, so there will be no playtime to speak of. Once the job ends however, my time is mine to do as I wish for pretty much as long as I want.

For starters, I have my vehicle rental covered, but I will need lodging for 2 in Kenai for 2 months, as my fiancé will accompany me on the trip. Any suggestions in this area are welcome.

I am told that my timing is perfect for spring bear hunting, and the fishing and sightseeing on the Kenai peninsula are outstanding. I'm looking forward to this trip, which I feel will likely lead to another. I'd love to make a hunt there.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jeff

@jeffpg you're profile pic looks familiar. did I sneak up on you in the bushes in northern Arizona about 20 years back, when you were trying to find a secluded place to take a #2?
You know you did Kurt and don't be hatin' on me for killin' yer buck, lol.

Boy, did I get lucky on my first time out th gate on mule deer!

April-May is a fun time in Alaska. You’re catching the end of breakup season, where it’ll still be icy, slushy, and dark and then in late April you’ll notice green grass and flowers that spring up seemingly overnight and suddenly it’s 10PM and still light out.

April-May is a fun time in Alaska. You’re catching the end of breakup season, where it’ll still be icy, slushy, and dark and then in late April you’ll notice green grass and flowers that spring up seemingly overnight and suddenly it’s 10PM and still light out.
Dark? Its light out till almost 9pm now, and we are gaining 5+min a day!

Fishing is pretty slow that time of the year, trout fishing is closed until early June. Salmon start hitting the rivers in early June. Some of the creeks on the lower Kenia might be open for kings this year. They aren't doing well, so I wouldn't bank on it.

I'd look at booking a charger out of Ninilchik, Deep Creek or Happy Valley for halibut. Skip Homer and Seward, you wallet will thank you and you'll catch just as many fish or more. Stick with a small 6 pack boat. Whale watching/dinner cruise is pretty fun out of Seward or Whittier.

Snagging for reds will be on in Seward in late May or early June, its fun but a chit show, go mid week.

As you mentioned bear hunting will be going pretty strong, but it doesn't really get good until Memorial weekend, IMO. If you have access to a boat thats a plus, check with some of the charters they run spring hunts on the salt water. There is a lot of baiting that goes on down on the Kenia, so look for areas where you can get away from people and easy access. Bear hunting isn't nearly as good as it used to be, lots of completion. I've had a few double digit bear days down there, but recently its much lower.

Breakup season sucks balls (most of April) and the worst time of the year IMO. We had a lot of snow this year, unless we have a warm spring, there will be a lot of snow in the mountains until June.

Have fun!

Fishing is pretty slow that time of the year, trout fishing is closed until early June. Salmon start hitting the rivers in early June. Some of the creeks on the lower Kenia might be open for kings this year. They aren't doing well, so I wouldn't bank on it.

I'd look at booking a charger out of Ninilchik, Deep Creek or Happy Valley for halibut. Skip Homer and Seward, you wallet will thank you and you'll catch just as many fish or more. Stick with a small 6 pack boat. Whale watching/dinner cruise is pretty fun out of Seward or Whittier.

Snagging for reds will be on in Seward in late May or early June, its fun but a chit show, go mid week.

As you mentioned bear hunting will be going pretty strong, but it doesn't really get good until Memorial weekend, IMO. If you have access to a boat thats a plus, check with some of the charters they run spring hunts on the salt water. There is a lot of baiting that goes on down on the Kenia, so look for areas where you can get away from people and easy access. Bear hunting isn't nearly as good as it used to be, lots of completion. I've had a few double digit bear days down there, but recently its much lower.

Breakup season sucks balls (most of April) and the worst time of the year IMO. We had a lot of snow this year, unless we have a warm spring, there will be a lot of snow in the mountains until June.

Have fun!
Guess I misremembered, It’s been 7 years since I lived there.

Have fun!
This.

In 2017 I spent September updating all the Alaska Fred Meyer stores starting in Fairbanks and working my way south until I finished in Soldotna. I left as the terminal dust came in.
I did the same gig in 2016, but in February. Winter driving in Alaska is better than anywhere I've ever been, but don't hold up the semi's. They will blow your doors off.

Are you flying into Anchorage or into Soldotna? If you are driving from Anchorage, before you do anything you should hike to the top of Flattop Mountain. Worth it if the weather is good. Amazing views of the city and difficult enough that you feel like you did something. There were some guys there glassing goats from the parking lot and they let me have a look.

Polar Bear Gifts in downtown Anchorage is the place for the cheapest "Daddy, what did you bring me" trinkets, tee shirts, shot glasses and all things AK.

Allow time to enjoy the drive if you are driving out from Anchorage. Whittier is worth the side trip. Whittier feels like you went through a time warp to a Cold War spy movie. I was the only outsider in through the tunnel one day in February. No one would let me buy my own beer. I finally had to beg off that I wouldn't be able to drive home.

Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is fun in a touristy zoo sort of way, but the Woodland Bison make it worth it.

There is an aquarium in Seward and the Exit Glacier side trip is cool.

Expect delays, highway construction season starts after breakup and I've spent a lot of time looking at the same tree on that road. Turnagain Arm from Anchorage to Alyeska is the deadliest piece of highway in the state. I like to pull over a lot. It's easy to drift out of your lane trying to take it all in.

Stop at a sportsman's access and really look at the Kenai River. You will never see a river like it. Turquoise. I've never taken a picture that does it justice.

Pull over often. I had a lot of pissed off natives behind me as I rubbernecked at Iliamna across the inlet. Ninilchik has been on my Zillow ever since.

Duncan House Diner for breakfast in Homer is bucket list.(Reindeer Sausage!) Kenai Brewing in Soldotna is fun.

Fat Olives in Homer is the favorite breakfast place and AJs for dinner in old town Homer is a must. Both have old time real food and both are off the "tourist map".
Jeez, this has me thinking about all my favorite eating places. Just south of Anchor Point on the East side of the road is an old school bus converted to a take out hamburger joint. Unbelievably good burgers. Back to Kenai, there's a sports bar right on the corner, I think near Kalifornsky road. It's another good non tourist place for lunch. If you like pizza, there's a great place in Ninilchik on the west side of the road. I can't remember the names of these but there not hard to find.

Last edited:
rent an air taxi out of the lake in Kenai and go on a flightseeing trip for a couple hours, just flying over a glacier across Cook I. was worth the $$

Waking this thread up with an invitation for you to share your opinions on a part of my plan...

I haven't actually had any success on planning a bear hunt yet, but I am still researching and have actually begun looking for an outfitter. I will take a lightweight folding stocked 6.5 PRC rifle with good intentions of using it. I will also take a pair of full size Glock handguns for my lady and myself to pack while out & about. I have flown with rifles, and I have flown with handguns, but I have yet to fly with both at the same time.

I have a Tuffpak gun case that has worked out well for me on trips abroad. I have plans to zip the rifle and the handguns in their own soft case, then place them inside the Tuffpak, surrounded by clothing such as puffy jackets, etc. I may also tuck in a fly rod & a 2 pc. rod/spinning rig if there's room.

There will be 3 different cartridge sizes involved, 6.5 PRC, 10mm, and 9mm. Is shipping one box of each ammo to Alaska too expensive to go that route?

Oh yeah... I am addicted to their use, but should I just forget the rifle's suppressor and leave it home? Probably so, huh?

Thanks guys,
Jeff

Back