No one at the helm of America's national parks

mfb99

The Trump administration has a three-prong war plan to assault OUR public lands.
  • Roll back and eliminate environmental rules that protect OUR public lands and the animals that live there.
  • Prioritize the extraction industry on OUR public lands. Remove protection of National Monument designation and other sensitive areas by executive order or other methods of fiat orders
  • Hobble and defund the mechanisms, processes and administration necessary to protect and manage OUR public lands
That is the plan and it is working.

All sportsmen and sportswomen must continue to push back: give money to the cause, call your Congressional leaders, join organizations like BHA.

Above all, don’t carry water for this ilk. Don’t make excuses for them. Don’t rationalize their behavior and their policies. Above all, do not vote to keep these guys in office in November.

It is time for the tough love speech.

You may like some of the stuff this administration does, that is fine and it is your right. However, you have to make a decision on this issue. Where do your priorities lie? Are they with public lands or are they with something else?

It may be hard for some folks to decide, but there is no standing with one foot on the edge and the other in the abyss.

For me it is an easy choice. From the day I was a wee lad, recreating on public lands was a key part of my life. That continues to this day.

You have to make a choice; I hope you make the right one.

Here is an opinion piece that was published in The Hill. It discusses the hobbling of the National Parts Service by the Trump administration.

No one at the helm of America's national parks

It has been just over three years since President Trump took the oath of office, and the lack of permanent leaders in this administration remains alarming and unprecedented. No administration in recent history has had as many vacancies this far into a term.

And it is not just Cabinet-level positions that remain vacant or filled with “acting” roles. For three years, the National Park Service has been without a Senate-confirmed director, an agency whose 20,000 employees oversee 419 of America’s most treasured places — national parks, monuments, battlefields, military parks, historical parks, historic sites, lakeshores, seashores, recreation areas, scenic rivers and trails.

The director is charged with upholding the National Park Service’s mission to protect and keep unimpaired our most incredible natural, cultural and historic resources for future generations to experience and enjoy. This is no small task, considering the Park Service is second only to the Department of Defense in the amount of infrastructure it manages.

The lack of permanence at the top of these agencies means the nation is lacking established leaders in critical positions in our government — without the expertise and guidance the American people deserve.

More than a century since its founding, the National Park Service maintains an unwavering passion for protecting America’s legacy. That passion endures because of the decision-makers who have been at the helm — the problem-solvers who took the many obstacles facing our parks head on, and who were approved of and embraced as real leaders.

For example, in March 1943, it was Director Horace Albright who convinced President Roosevelt to protect more than 220,000 acres of lands to establish the Jackson Hole National Monument, which was eventually added to Grand Teton National Park. Ten years later, Director Conrad Wirth led an effort to boost federal funding for the National Park Service to increase staffing levels, create visitor centers, and upgrade park buildings and concessions facilities. And in 1999, Director Bob Stanton launched the Natural Resource Challenge, a five-year program to promote the role of science in decision-making, increase funding for natural resource programs and strengthen partnerships with the scientific community, educational institutions and the public.

This administration has had every opportunity to formally advance a National Park Service director’s nomination, but instead continues to keep leadership in place with only “acting” roles, disregarding the requirement for congressional approval and leaving thousands of park staff leaderless. The number of “acting” and vacant positions within the Park Service headquarters alone is astonishing. More than half of the Park Service’s senior positions that oversee critical departments within the agency, including operations, congressional and external relations, interpretation and education, and visitor and resource protection are either vacant or without a permanent leader. This lack of stability has greatly affected the agency both inside and out. Park superintendents aren’t getting support to fulfill their stewardship responsibilities and the public is shut out of one decision after another.

And this problem isn’t isolated to the top of the agency; it is prevalent throughout the ranks. Several national parks, including some of our nation’s most iconic and heavily visited sites, like the Grand Canyon, Denali and Yosemite National Parks, are currently without a permanent superintendent. Superintendents play such a critical role ensuring our nationally significant resources are protected, visitors have great experiences, and staff have stability and get direction on day-to-day management. This level of management is nearly impossible in park sites with rotating or temporary leadership.

For years, rampant underfunding coupled with staff cuts and increased visitation has required park staff to do far more with much less. And the lack of leadership within the agency has only compounded these struggles, making it more difficult for staff to perform their duties to ensure the protection and future of our national parks. In fact, we’ve seen firsthand the types of terrible policies and decisions that can be implemented when a leader is lacking: from eliminating years of science-driven data from park planning, to initiating an unnecessary and disruptive reorganization of the National Park Service, to reversing longstanding, science-based decisions that protect invaluable park resources.

Without a permanent, emboldened director, there’s no one to speak for our parks and park staff. And it’s our parks and public lands, and all who visit them that pay the price.

Our national park rangers, and the American people, deserve nothing less than a fully empowered leader approved by Congress to perform his or her duties to ensure the protection and future of our national parks. It’s time to offer the parks and so many other agencies across our government the leadership they deserve.

Cheers,

Mark

And Only Our Rivers Run Free…..

You're on a roll, "Mark"...

I find interesting, you've been warned multiple times you would be banned if you keep it up. However, the same warning is given to others who at least have the huevos to respond to comments, misguided or not, (as you do not respond) and they are bumped from HT or... heed the warning and remain.

But you... remain. over and over. Think it's time you move along. 😉

Then again, you do prime some fantastic recipes so maybe you're not such a prune based recipe after all. 😂😆

I almost walked away, and then I thought, I gotta see Big Fin nail this guy....his posts all read like form letters

giphy.gif

I guess nobody else finds it troubling that national parks are of such little importance/priority to the current administration that they can't even appoint a new Director?

I also find it troubling as a Resident of Wyoming that our current WY Senators and Representative also seem to think its fine to not have someone officially in the leadership role at the NPS. I mean, hardly anyone in Wyoming should care about the national parks. Not like a few million people a year visit them or anything...

Mark has received many warnings, including this most recent warning quoted below. He refused to change how he presents his topics. Which is unfortunate for important topics related to public lands and conservation.

Mark:

If you want to make issues known, do that. Cut the bullshit political attribution, partisan BS, personal hatred, and stick to facts that get your point across. I don't tolerate "Nancy and Chuck (insert pissing and moaning complaint here)" from other members any more than I tolerate "Trump (insert your P&M'ing complaints here)" stuff that litters everyone of your posts.

Unfortunately, though the topics you bring up are often relevant to public land issues, you can never discuss those topics without a heavy dose of partisan BS that causes the topic to have a very small amount of substance. That does nothing to benefit the cause you are advocating, and as it relates to this forum, it does nothing to benefit the tone and discussions I want on this forum.

Make your point, give links where people can take whatever action you are hoping to inspire or information you want them to read, and let it be what it is going to be. Leave the partisan BS aside or take it to Facebook, where such things seem to be welcomed. The partisan crap is not welcomed here.

Next post you make here that is a very poorly disguised rant against political figures you dislike will be treated like other former members who did the same against political figures they disliked. You can make a point without it being blatant partisan ranting. If you can't, your password will no longer work.

@BuzzH , start a thread on it.

Least it would be formed off something less than a crappy opening post bound to fuel extremes as the opening post sets the tone for the thread.
Though to fuel this poser's bot-like (or ball-less HT member's) thread is... Working off a prune based foundation. 😄

Not knocking your opinion though an opening post such as your post here goes a much further distance towards *hopeful rational discussion.

What I cant seem to understand, it appeared to me like Trump could have been on the right track in regard to National Parks when he donated his first quarterly salary (around $78,000) to Ryan Zinke specifically for the NPS.

That could have been the start to something significant to the NPS to help address, fund, and do some much needed work. Something most Americans could support...

Oh well, another opportunity squandered I suppose.

@BuzzH , start a thread on it.

Least it would be formed off something less than a crappy opening post bound to fuel extremes as the opening post sets the tone for the thread.
Though to fuel this poser's bot-like (or ball-less HT member's) thread is... Working off a prune based foundation. 😄

Not knocking your opinion though an opening post such as your post here goes a much further distance towards *hopeful rational discussion.

No thanks...being critical of such things as 4 years without leadership at the NPS is just too big of a trigger for some. I'd rather talk about breakfast and my favorite recipe...you know, things that really matter.

No point in wrestling with pigs or arguing with idiots, by the time you're done you're both covered in shit and nobody can tell who the idiot is. I'm with you Buzz, there's huge problems, NPS just one of them, and I think this forum does a good job of responding to rational discussions rationally and calling out the overly emotional trolling discussions with posts about recent meals.

I guess nobody else finds it troubling that national parks are of such little importance/priority to the current administration that they can't even appoint a new Director?

I also find it troubling as a Resident of Wyoming that our current WY Senators and Representative also seem to think its fine to not have someone officially in the leadership role at the NPS. I mean, hardly anyone in Wyoming should care about the national parks. Not like a few million people a year visit them or anything...
By that logic if I ignore a wack job on the street corner preaching about the next coming of christ and the apocalypse I guess I don't care about religion. I'm interested in having a conversation about the problem not being preached at.

By that logic if I ignore a wack job on the street corner preaching about the next coming of christ and the apocalypse I guess I don't care about religion. I'm interested in having a conversation about the problem not being preached at.
This.

Here's the deal. @BuzzH is spot on. Mark is annoying as shit, and it's Big Fin's forum to administer as he pleases. The reality is, Mark isn't preaching at you, and anyone that's a reasonable adult can drive by the whacko on the corner with the bullhorn and the "repent or burn" sign and have a reasonable conversation about the topic.

It's a complete joke how this administration has left things to languish with no appointed directors and absolutely no meaningful progress in management plans, budgeting, future planning, you name it. Make fun of Mark all you want, but this stuff is a complete fugging joke and a lot of people are too busy making fun of the messenger instead of directing their attentions where it matters.

Now, let's return to something really important, like what units are worth investing points in. :rolleyes:

It's just one more thing that people who support the current administration look past. And will continue to look past for the next four years.

I have no problem with the points Mark has brought forth, and that is why he was allowed to continue ignoring my requests for as long as I let it ride. I probably agree with the positions he took on almost every topic he brought up. But, every thread he started was so heavily burdened with his personal politics that the threads were sure to unwind, which they did, and he was probably doing more harm for his cause than he was doing good.

I spend time talking about those topics all the time, on my podcasts, at presentations, and in media. I like those topics to be discussed, and that is the purpose of keeping this forum going. But, when the messages get lost in the personal axe grinding and political rants, the topic and the forum suffer as a result.

I hope those public land topics get discussed/debated here in great depth. That would be helpful to the cause.

Here's the deal. @BuzzH is spot on. Mark is annoying as shit, and it's Big Fin's forum to administer as he pleases. The reality is, Mark isn't preaching at you, and anyone that's a reasonable adult can drive by the whacko on the corner with the bullhorn and the "repent or burn" sign and have a reasonable conversation about the topic.

It's a complete joke how this administration has left things to languish with no appointed directors and absolutely no meaningful progress in management plans, budgeting, future planning, you name it. Make fun of Mark all you want, but this stuff is a complete fugging joke and a lot of people are too busy making fun of the messenger instead of directing their attentions where it matters.

Now, let's return to something really important, like what units are worth investing points in. :rolleyes:

I totally agree...and against my better judgement...

What I'm willing to do is look past SOME of the things that this administration has done. I'm more than willing to give credit where its due as well.

Problem is, there is a growing contingency that has invaded this site that take great pleasure in giving a pass to their side on the one hand, and giving no credit to the opposing side on the other.

I had a real and genuine interest when Trump made that donation of his check to the NPS, in particular the FIRST quarterly check he received. In my mind, I thought, "huh, I wonder if sometime in the past Trump actually went to a National Park and there was something significant/important enough to him, that he made the first donation to the NPS?" I found that fascinating, encouraging, and was hopeful that perhaps there was a side to the administration that cared about what I care about. A reason to be hopeful that, perhaps on one issue, there would be a common ground that most every American could agree on, the importance of OUR national parks. In my mind, I also thought there HAS to be a reason beyond just a publicity stunt, around the significance of the FIRST donation going to the NPS. Sad to say I was wrong.

That faded fast when the administration dragged their feet filling important roles in the public land management agencies...and it was soon apparent to me, this was all, in fact, nothing more than a publicity stunt. Instead of a first step in leadership, it just fizzled out and went nowhere.

Here we are 4 years later...and I'm as disappointed as ever with the lack of importance a bunch of our elected officials give to our public lands, land management agencies, funding, and maintaining what a bunch of us really find value in. There are still a small handful, from both sides of the aisle that seem to genuinely care, but they have no support from those in the leadership positions. Business as usual, and I don't even know why I expect a different outcome anymore.

No thanks...being critical of such things as 4 years without leadership at the NPS is just too big of a trigger for some. I'd rather talk about breakfast and my favorite recipe...you know, things that really matter.
Well.... Don't leave us hanging...

Marks posts will go down as a lesson in delivery.

I had a real and genuine interest when Trump made that donation of his check to the NPS, in particular the FIRST quarterly check he received. In my mind, I thought, "huh, I wonder if sometime in the past Trump actually went to a National Park and there was something significant/important enough to him, that he made the first donation to the NPS?" I found that fascinating, encouraging, and was hopeful that perhaps there was a side to the administration that cared about what I care about. A reason to be hopeful that, perhaps on one issue, there would be a common ground that most every American could agree on, the importance of OUR national parks. In my mind, I thought there HAS to be a reason beyond just a publicity stunt, around the significance of the FIRST donation going to the NPS. Sad to say I was wrong.
Same thoughts here. But we can pay Mar A Lago $650 a night for secret service agents.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back