No longer a newbie

mcelweed

I got my first bird this morning. I didn't want to go because it was windy and didnt figure there would be much action. I went anyway and got settled in around 6:30. The first few clucks from the slate were immediately answered by a gobbler about 200 yds behind me in a canyon. A few minutes later he responded again, this time a lot closer. I heard him come to the small ridge behind me then start to move off to my right (decoys were left). He moved about 100-150 yds to my right along the ridge and I thought he was leaving. I gave home a few yelps with a mouth call and a couple purrs with the slate and he hammered back. He was coming in. He followed the ridge back to my left and then apparently spotted the hen and jake decoys. He came in full strut and drumming. He paused at the hen then walked over to the jake. I watched him chest bump the jake a couple times, still in full strut. I gave a cluck with the mouth call and nothing, he kept strutting. When I gave him a second cluck, he stuck his head up and it was game over. Tagged out at 6:55. I couldn't have scripted it better. My first turkey and its a Merriam! 3/4" Spurs and 10 1/2" beard.

Congratulations on your first of what I hope for you is many. Amazing how that bird with his little tiny brain can be so smart/stupid/silly/ugly/beautiful all at the same time.

Congrats! I may have to live vicariously through others this year on turkeys as it looks like my kids baseball games might nix my whole season.

pics

Here are the pictures I mentioned.

Attachments

• DSC00395.jpg
    DSC00395.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 107