No Hiking, Just Ranchin

Little Big Man MT Chris

For a little over the last month I’ve been going on a hike somewhere in Montana on my days off , this week was different, I got invited to a Ranch and spent the last 2 days helping out with the branding of this years calves . Had a lot of fun , worked hard , met some great people, and learned a little bit about ranching

Bringing the herd in this morning

Stock is in the pen
FCD57479-6500-42D0-B308-17F29BEC66E9.jpeg

Bringing us a calf
29B436D9-F732-476A-8C85-DD5B9CC35D38.jpeg

Time to work
381DE387-8AC7-4648-B0F4-9AF63DFE88AD.jpeg1EB6484E-079C-41AF-AF82-73FDADA811AA.jpegF77E019B-E84A-4894-9177-A3E4B78CD4A2.jpegA755D5CA-B83F-41A3-99FB-A192C3166F8F.jpeg6C249739-136B-4E32-AD81-AA93C3C4FD49.jpeg

Smiling for the camera with my friend Sam
9D4FD3AC-A8CD-4B44-9374-A960183A71CD.jpeg

After 2 days of wrestling calves , this old man is worn out , loved every minute of it though

PS my Kenetreks worked great as a wrangling boot 🥾 🤠

I used to go out and help my family in the Sandhills brand every summer, we always ended up at a few neighboring ranches to help out. Even in high school I was sore and wore out. I’m just glad I live east of the inspection area. A chute and ear tags are to marking calves what a heated deer blind is to hunting. There’s just something wrong with us fellers that wanna do it the hard way though.

I am enjoying your Montana adventure stories @MT Rookie aka OR Chris

With modern castration banding instead of surgery via an emasculator, I imagine there were no “oysters” to be had during mealtime?

And good on you to be a part of the entertainment with your calf riding (attempt?!?). I’m certain I’d be down and crumpled up after the first lunge.

This is awesome lol I enjoy the hiking pics and the way you share your Montana experience— in a different tone than most of the locals do. This looks so fun and I’m a little jealous lol I’ve been asking every rancher I can find if they need help- for free. The knowledge gained is handsome payment… They think I’m pulling their leg or something!? Ha seriously So cool thanks for sharing!

This is awesome lol I enjoy the hiking pics and the way you share your Montana experience— in a different tone than most of the locals do. This looks so fun and I’m a little jealous lol I’ve been asking every rancher I can find if they need help- for free. The knowledge gained is handsome payment… They think I’m pulling their leg or something!? Ha seriously So cool thanks for sharing!
Do you travel?

That's awesome! I never got to do the full roping and brand-them-on-the-ground version of branding. The places I helped out at sorted them, ran them into a squeeze chute table that we could flip and we'd brand them there. The calves also looked much smaller than the ones you were wrangling. I miss doing that kind of thing. Good way to stay connected to the land and real life.

Chris, you look like good help. I love seeing the way that folks handle their calves in different parts of the country. Lots of places in CA and NV head and heel the calves because many times they are too big...In this case we had some novices and green horses.

1657384442493.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back