PEAX Equipment

NM Unit 54/55 Colin Neblett WMA info

RedIII

Hi, my wife pulled a bull elk tag for first rifle in Colin Neblett 55/54 in New Mexico. I had a couple of questions. First, the tag doesn’t specify if we need to hunt one or the other between 54 and 55, so I assume we can hunt both, is that correct? Any advice for that area is greatly appreciated. My wife and I are in training mode until then and plan to go camping out there a few times before the actual hunt.

You can hunt the Colin Neblett WMA which has a portion in 54 and 55. You cannot hunt all of 54 and 55.

In previous years, they split Colin Neblett into 2 hunt units: North Colin Neblett in 55, and South Colin Neblett in 54

I called game and fish and they confirmed that you can now hunt both north and south Colin Neblett on the same tag. They even suggested where to start because they’re wasn’t really anyway into the area other than hiking.

Which hunt did you draw for Colin Neblett?

I got a cow elk tag for the 6-10 NOV. Thanks for the info; I just assumed one could hunt on both sides given the PDF from NMGF.

Also drew the Barbary Sheep hunt for FEB 12-25, 2022 in GMU 32, 34, 36, & 37...though dudes are hard to find & get close to.

Good luck RedIII

As Redlll mentioned, you can now hunt north and south. When we first hunted this tag, it was two separate units. That has since changed.

Yes both sides are open now. Game warden suggested either Tolby trail on the south side or maverick on the north side.
I hunt barbs in unit 34 in the otc section. I’m able to see them each time I go but it’s hard to close the distance on those guys. Once you develop an eye for them you start seeing them everywhere. I’ve never seen one alone they’re always in groups of 3 or larger. Most I’ve seen at once was 21!
Will look at the trail systems on Google Earth / OnX...thanks.

I got a shot a lone Ram laster year...304 yards and shot right under him!

Big heard...never seen that many together.

Hopefully headed down to scout sheep this fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back