Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado GMU 54

My buddy & I are planning a second season backpack hunt in 54 this year. We live out of state and pre-season scouting will be impossible. Our first plan is to head into Soap Creek, but I've read that the road in can be a challenge, especially when wet. We're coming out in a Tacoma or a Grand Cherokee, both are stock vehicles, and we will have chains. I've read that Jeep hill is rather rough, is ground clearance an issue on that road?

My buddy & I are planning a second season backpack hunt in 54 this year. We live out of state and pre-season scouting will be impossible. Our first plan is to head into Soap Creek, but I've read that the road in can be a challenge, especially when wet. We're coming out in a Tacoma or a Grand Cherokee, both are stock vehicles, and we will have chains. I've read that Jeep hill is rather rough, is ground clearance an issue on that road?
I've driven Soap Creek a few times. If it is dry it really isn't much of an issue. Jeep Hill will be a butt clencher even in the best of conditions, however. I wouldn't consider it if there was really any moisture. A couple years ago we went in in very muddy conditions and even the first part of the road (up to the first campground I think) was absurd. Chains will certainly help, but even with them I'm not sure how far you'd get. You don't have to go as far up Soap Creek as you'd think to find critters. There is some rough terrain right off the road that is overlooked and holds game.

Great feedback on the road into Soap Creek, thanks! It looks like there is plenty of water sources in the area. Anybody ever have an issue finding water in the wilderness? I ask because I was in a situation a few years ago where I was a full day's hike into the mountain and our source of water was bone dry. We ended up finding water 2 hours farther in at a glacier run off, but that was a big curveball I'd like to avoid again.

I drove in and out of soap creek the year before last in a heavily laden stock gen 3 Tacoma without issue. Had a little bit of moisture while we were up there and it was okay still. but I could see how a lot of moisture could be very slippery. Ground clearance with the Tacoma was generally not an issue. The drive does take a decent chunk of time though. The end of the road there is really a beautiful spot too.

Jeep hill is not difficult when dry but it’s scary because it’s rather off camber in addition to being very steep and it would be bad news if really slick.
How did your hunt go? Do you have any pictures?

Great feedback on the road into Soap Creek, thanks! It looks like there is plenty of water sources in the area. Anybody ever have an issue finding water in the wilderness? I ask because I was in a situation a few years ago where I was a full day's hike into the mountain and our source of water was bone dry. We ended up finding water 2 hours farther in at a glacier run off, but that was a big curveball I'd like to avoid again.
I found water pretty regularly in the West Elks, this was during archery season.

I never had a problem finding water during first rifle. The major drainages should hold water.

I never had a problem finding water during first rifle. The major drainages should hold water.
I found lots of water there too, but I swear, there was almost always cow poop in it. Those West Elk cattle seem to delight in pooping in those pristine wilderness streams.

I hunted elk for the first time in 54. Shot one the first day (then didn't see another for the next 4 days trying to get my friend's tag filled). I know several other folks who have hunted it successfully. If you do your homework and you're willing/able to access those gnarly places, you have a real chance of getting your shot. The deck is stacked against you, but that's elk hunting, in my experience... It's a beautiful place. Enjoy, get in good shape, come prepared with at least 3 different game plans so that you can adapt quickly, spend as much time scouting/acclimating as you can, and get a burger at the Power Stop. Good luck!
Hey. I'm thinking about going to 54 for 1st rifle this year. Any chance you can share some of your knowledge with me?

Hey. I'm thinking about going to 54 for 1st rifle this year. Any chance you can share some of your knowledge with me?
Big country and steep! Very physically demanding hunt, come prepared! Never hunted first rifle season, only archery. You can get away from people here, due to how vast the landscape is. Some outfitter pressure in the West Elks.

We were successful during archery, but had to work for every minute. My brother left the mountain after day one because he wasn't prepared, and went home. My BIL and I stayed the remainder and got into elk/notched tags. But I really can't stress enough how tough this hunt was.

Goodluck!
Yooper

Back