Unit 53 NM Archery Elk

Texas Cutthroat

Guys. Two buddies and I have our Unit 53 tags and will be headed to NM this fall. First time in this Unit. We normally hunt Unit 54 in CO but wanted to see some more country. We usually back pack into the high country and stay 7-10 days. We are actually packing in with horses this year. Been checking on past threads and researching on Google Earth and OnX. Lobo Peak area looks good around Cow Lake. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I can fill someone in on Unit 54 CO if anyone has a tag there. Thanks in advance for your help.

@Greenhorn have you been counting this year? If so what number is the site on?

Texas welcome to HT! I can’t help you on the unit but it sounds like you’ve been doing your homework. Looking forward to some pictures of the area.

Which season are you hunting?
Lots of country to cover up there. 13000 ft peaks or 9000 ft bottoms. Keeps the options open. Lobo looks nice cause its out of the way and west from there is all roadless.
Ill be there second archery. Still not sure where i want to start. E half of the unit has a nice burn ide like to check.
Prolly scout un August for good measure.

Thats a beautiful unit just north of Taos. Hiked up there a few years ago. There is a decent trail up Columbine Creek as well. You end up in the same basic area.

I spent a week there two summers ago. Get in the shape of your life and it will still kick your ass. Altitude acclimatization in the wilderness area is tough b/c, as fisherkid said, it's all >9k; a mile in you're 10k+. Beautiful country.

53 is steep, thick, wet, full of bears and elk. The elk might be with the big horns at 10,000 feet or down along the Rio Grande.

It seems like you have some experience in 53. Any recommended starting points for late season?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back