MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

GMU 54 Colorado

Jmjame22

Hi all! New member here and new to elk hunting (western hunting all together). Me and a group of people are coming up for 2nd rifle with a bull tag and mule deer tag. I have read all of the post on unit 54 and still have a few questions on the area.

We are leaning towards the Soap Creek Rd. area and are trying to plan a camping spot. Do people just pull off of that road and camp? How far up that road can you go? It looks like it runs through some private land at the end. Can you drive through that private land and access the trail head on the other side?

There are not very many trailheads except for the bottom of that road and the top of that road. I would guess that one would have to walk a long way if you took the trailhead at the base of that road to get into elk since its pretty low elevation at that point.

Any info on the area would be greatly appreciated.

I've hunted with the outfitter up there, I've seen people camped in various locations on the drive in, most before you get to Jeep Hill (and a few after). I've seen atv's parked near the wilderness boundary at the end, I'm not sure where people park their trucks. Just want to add make sure you have tire chains in case it rains if you decide to go on back that road. We got lucky and went in after it had dried out, but all the trucks back there were chained up this time.

I've hunted with the outfitter up there, I've seen people camped in various locations on the drive in, most before you get to Jeep Hill (and a few after). I've seen atv's parked near the wilderness boundary at the end, I'm not sure where people park their trucks. Just want to add make sure you have tire chains in case it rains if you decide to go on back that road. We got lucky and went in after it had dried out, but all the trucks back there were chained up this time.
Do you remember how far up that road jeep hill is?

Like N2, I have hunted with an outfitter at the end (Eagle Mountain Outfitters, I believe) in 2nd rifle season. Fortunate the year (2017) I hunted there was dry and didn't need chains, just the 4x4. Chains were in the truck bed just in case. I can't remember for sure how far up it was, maybe half way (not much help). Also be prepared to back up if you meet oncoming vehicles at the wrong spot. Can be narrow with no place to pull off.

Did pass a few spots along the "road" where people set up camp sites. Don't know if they were hunting for elk or muley. We saw muley at lower elevations.

We were after elk and had the outfitter pack us in with horses to a drop camp. If I remember it was about a 4-5 hour ride to get to elevation we wanted. 2 out of the 4 in our group were successful, although we did have a black bear make off with one hind quarter. Evidently we didn't get it high enough.

Like N2, I have hunted with an outfitter at the end (Eagle Mountain Outfitters, I believe) in 2nd rifle season. Fortunate the year (2017) I hunted there was dry and didn't need chains, just the 4x4. Chains were in the truck bed just in case. I can't remember for sure how far up it was, maybe half way (not much help). Also be prepared to back up if you meet oncoming vehicles at the wrong spot. Can be narrow with no place to pull off.

Did pass a few spots along the "road" where people set up camp sites. Don't know if they were hunting for elk or muley. We saw muley at lower elevations.

We were after elk and had the outfitter pack us in with horses to a drop camp. If I remember it was about a 4-5 hour ride to get to elevation we wanted. 2 out of the 4 in our group were successful, although we did have a black bear make off with one hind quarter. Evidently we didn't get it high enough.
Yeah, I’m worried that I won’t be able to make it to the end of that road. Keep Jill looks like it’s at 7,500 feet ish. That would mean we would have to gain about 3,000 feet in elevation each morning. Do you remember what elevation y’all were hunting at. My plan is from 9,500 to 11,000 unless they get some snow.

I want to say that jeep hill is just passed lions gulch but I am unsure. I’ve hunted out in soap creek the last couple of years and have pulled off to camp (there are quite a few options off the side of the road). There’s a lot of guys in travel trailers for the first few miles, if you’re setting up camp in tents you’ll have options but I’d recommend getting in as early as you can. If you’ve got a wheeler or side by side it’ll be pretty easy cruising down the road to the wilderness area but if not it can be a bit of a walk. Lots of steep country to hunt for both elk and deer, good luck out there and feel free to PM me with any questions you might have 👍🏼

Yeah, I’m worried that I won’t be able to make it to the end of that road. Keep Jill looks like it’s at 7,500 feet ish. That would mean we would have to gain about 3,000 feet in elevation each morning. Do you remember what elevation y’all were hunting at. My plan is from 9,500 to 11,000 unless they get some snow.
We were in that 9,500 to 10,000 range for our camp. Daily excursions could take you another 1,000 but the year we were there the elk seemed to be dropping down a little in elevation and we were seeing them at the 10,000ish elevation. First night there we did have pretty good storm come through. Brought 8" of snow and night time temps in teens, but it wasn't bad getting around. There were a couple other groups in the area of our camp, but no more than 4-5 people total that we saw.

I have heard some gnarly stories about driving that hill when it's wet! When I was hunting 54, I had a rental SUV, so I hunted elsewhere, but it's great looking country!

I have heard some gnarly stories about driving that hill when it's wet! When I was hunting 54, I had a rental SUV, so I hunted elsewhere, but it's great looking country!
Yeah, having seen that hill in wet conditions there ain’t no way in hell im bringing my truck up that thing haha but there are definitely guys who are braver than I!
and I was mistaken in my earlier comment that jeep road is right by Sleep Gulch

Yeah, im pretty worried about it. If I cant get past jeep hill then I need to find a new way to access the wilderness area because i wont have an atv. I guess the only other options would be Red creek and Rainbow lake?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back