Caribou Gear Tarp

NM travel restrictions, negative test rule gone

beginnerhunter

Apparently the NM governor rescinded the rule allowing exemption from the 14 day quarantine if you had recent negative Covid test. However, nobody knows if:
A) hunters are exempt due to the tag being a "contract" with the state
B) hunting and camping is considered "quarantine ".

Guess it doesnt matter to me, federal employees are exempt so I'm good either way. Hopefully she doesn't remove that exemption. Good luck everyone!

It seems NMGF is giving contradictory answers depending on who you call. I haven't heard of any enforcement of the restriction, nor is there much clarification regarding how these restrictions apply to hunters. With that said, if you look at the travel restriction language, it says:

"High-risk states: Persons who have arrived in New Mexico from states with a 5% positivity rate or greater over a 7-day rolling average, or a positive test rate greater than 80 per 1 million residents, must physically separate from others in a residence or place of lodging for at least 14 days from the date of their entry into New Mexico or for the duration of their presence in the state, whichever is shorter."

I would argue that hunting/camping is considered quarantine given the bold language above.

It should also be noted that Covid-19 is not an adequate reason for NMGF to issue a refund on an out-of-state license. My buddy can't make his deer hunt due to various Covid-19 restrictions in NM and his home state of NY. He called NMGF and was told the only options he has are to come hunt or donate the tag.

I found that interesting as it creates a situation where NMGF is pressuring non-residents to come here, while the Governor is encouraging those people to stay home. Then again, I work for the State so this type of disfunction doesn't surprise me.

It should also be noted that Covid-19 is not an adequate reason for NMGF to issue a refund on an out-of-state license. My buddy can't make his deer hunt due to various Covid-19 restrictions in NM and his home state of NY. He called NMGF and was told the only options he has are to come hunt or donate the tag.

I found that interesting as it creates a situation where NMGF is pressuring non-residents to come here, while the Governor is encouraging those people to stay home. Then again, I work for the State so this type of disfunction doesn't surprise me.

Yeah I've spoken with multiple agencies and gotten mixed responses. Impression I get is that they are just trying to dissuade tourists and provide a justification for enforcement in the event a tourist is being a jerk about the masks, etc. I just hope some Karen doesn't vandalize my truck/campsite.

I was in NM from California for early archery and there was no issues at all. We stayed in Albuquerque overnight on our way and no questions were asked. We camped the rest of the time but no one we came across was concerned.

My dad and sister just got back from elk hunting in the Carson east of Chama. He says everything was fine, but a lot of the area towns had pretty stringent mask requirements so if anyone is headed that way do carry one with you

We r scheduled to head down to northern NM in a couple weeks....our plan is to "quarantine" in the NF or BLM and I hope we don't have any issues. I spoke w the unit warden earlier this year didn't sound like there was a lot of concern at the time...Will wear masks and use common sense if we do wind up in town for anything....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back