NM lope

schmalts

Hunt had it's ups and downs for sure... thats all I will say about this one.
Scouted one day before, decided this was the best one I had seen so I put him to bed and snuck back in the dark in the AM. Used the Moo cow to get within 200yrds to clear the rise between us and touched one off high on his back to clear the rise a little and he dropped with a whack! When i took off the hide i saw I almost cut him in half:eek: I made a new load right before the hunt, a 140GR ballistic tip going 3420FPS. (OAK, that is what I was "running") He has a real lot of cool little drop tines and junk on his bases. He did break one ivory tip off but still taped 15" on both sides.
here he is live
picture.php

and dead
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Then since my hunt was over pretty fast I scouted for Elk in the unit I will bow hunt. Tough hunt it is going to be. Did see some bulls in a wilderness area all up high though. Here is a few pictures of the country, there was a dozen sheep just above that lake. No big rams, just some small 1/2 curl stuff. Those things are stupid too, i got within 15 yards of them.
picture.php

picture.php

And I found that when you forget your hat, some moss makes a nice toupee
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Moss would be better if you were bald.

Those look like ewes. Turn em over and look.

Nice lope.

Moss would be better if you were bald.

So.... it worked, I do have a big bald spot and you can't see it.
Those are Ewes, But yes there was some small rams these but I didn't get as close and it was getting pretty dark to get better pics

Man, I am having lope withdraws bad> First year I haven't gone in the past six years!

Great job!

What cartridge was your 3400 fps 140 "running" out of? (couldn't resist the running thing, sorry)

Last edited:
Great job!

What cartridge was your 3400 fps 140 "running" out of? (couldn't resist the running thing, sorry)

"running" a 7MM "wizzum" with a 28 inch "pipe" RL17 "pushin" it warp speed scotty.:rolleyes:

Thinking "Bob" or maybe a "roy" in 257 would do less damage:p Damn I hate all that ARAIG gay talk.."Laffin"

I think you now know that that's too much gun for a lope. Killed him far deader than need be. Nice goat BTW.
running" a 7MM "wizzum" with a 28 inch "pipe" RL17 "pushin" it warp speed scotty.

I hope Oak doesn't see this post. He'll be off and AAhumm running again.

I think you now know that that's too much gun for a lope. Killed him far deader than need be. Nice goat BTW.

Really? how could you tell?:p Hey, i take what I have that is the most accurate I own and set up best for any shot needed. I built that gun and it is cool to get something with a gun you built. But really, the big reason of the devestation was the spine hit. Had I used a 120 grain, or lesser gun and hit it in the same spot it still would have made a mess, just a little less of it.

Nice goat! I've got my first rifle antelope tag this year, and I'm pretty wound up about it. Your story definitely helped. Of course, I'm pretty wound up about hunting season in general, I've got a good feeling about this year.

What do you think costs more, a hunting addiction or a street drug addiction?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back