Caribou Gear Tarp

NM Elk Lottery-Valle Vidal

Uncle Larry 11

Well I defied the less than 1% odds for a nonresident DIY hunt and won the NM Elk lottery and drew a bull tag in Unit 55 Valle Vidal for rifle season. Would love to hear from anyone who has been down there. Its a once in a lifetime tag so i want to make the best of it. I have several scouting trips planned and am not looking for someone honey hole. Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Yep - I like to think of this site and place and members as 'the givers' (like give me your address so I can ship you a gift or a card or a care package brother or a message), not a : ask, take and rape/ run like the wind app for wanna be's.

Do it the hard way, THE BARTA WAY! The Randy way...
>Hunting and free places are sacred. Work your ass off.
Your tag is sacred - get out and make the most of it man.
Grow your passion by seeking out that prized bull with that prized tag!

My dear friend Mike Calistro, bless his soul, was one of the first Colorado guys to get the elk tag here.
I sure had fun trying to find him a giant - he had a wonderful time too, from Unit 2 to unit 20 and many places in between. He never filled it, but he tried - we tried and it was an amazing season.

If you want a big bull - hire a guide - if you want a big thrill - DIY baby!

I know one Hunt Talker who had the tag a while back. When he checks in, hopefully he will add some advice.

Never that fortunate here in NM,just great low key units for me.
It's a dandy place to hunt I'm told. Good Luck and Good Hunting!!

Apparently the Internet trolls didn't like my introduction, so this is for you. I am a Pisces, like long walks on the beach and scented candles. Is that better? or do I need to post on this forum 2000+times before I am allowed to ask for help on a hunt?

Uncle Larry,I'll ask some guys I know who are familiar with it,guiding and hunting and let you know.
I do know it's an OIL tag! Similar to the VC for elk quality,maybe bigger.

Holy crap that's a good freakin tag. I used to fish there when I lived in Albuquerque. You may want to double check me, but I believe that they assign each hunter with the tag and "area" of the property to hunt, which may make scouting irrelevant. Or maybe that is the Caldera. Anyway, I remember that there were quite a few rules about when and where you can go here or there, but you should have an awesome hunt.

Holy crap that's a good freakin tag. I used to fish there when I lived in Albuquerque. You may want to double check me, but I believe that they assign each hunter with the tag and "area" of the property to hunt, which may make scouting irrelevant. Or maybe that is the Caldera. Anyway, I remember that there were quite a few rules about when and where you can go here or there, but you should have an awesome hunt.

That's the way I understand it is run.The whole place has elk.
The Caldera is the Jurassic Park of NM elk spots, but the Vidal is right there too.:cool:

He drew Valle Vidal :cool:

Look at a map, find some block roadless and go hunt. Lots of 280 bulls.

Last edited:
Apparently the Internet trolls didn't like my introduction, so this is for you. I am a Pisces, like long walks on the beach and scented candles. Is that better? or do I need to post on this forum 2000+times before I am allowed to ask for help on a hunt?
You usually need to post at least a few hundred times if you're gonna throw out a smart-ass comment like that and insult the same guys you're asking to go out of their way to help a stranger. Good luck.

Internet trolls? More like members that are sick of people such as yourself who immediately after a draw come on here asking for help and have offered nothing in return. No intro on who you are, where you're from, places you've hunted, types of hunts you are looking to do in the future. Just wanting help for a hunt. A lot of members on here work their tail off and take a lot of pride researching areas and hunting hard DIY style year round. I would also go out on a limb and say that after your hunt nobody will hear from you until you draw another tag somewhere else. I hope I'm wrong but I'm a stats guy and the odds of you sticking around and helping others are not favorable. Good luck on your hunt.

Jump his ass SeaBass.....You definitely need to put in your time around posts to give and take from them properly. I just started hunting Elk/Mulies/Pronghorn last year and found it very difficult to get good info bc I was a greenhorn. Half the problem is that I honestly can't provide any advice to anyone else about units bc I haven't hunted any until last year. As the years go by I will be able to give advice, thus hopefully getting some valuable advice from others as well. BTW if anyone wants any help in Texas I have you covered!

It sure sounds like a good tag from all the hype. Im sure with 3-5 days scouting before season you should be able to find some elk in a spot like that.

Good luck

Valle Vidal

I doubt if Uncle Larry comes back but if he does UL give me a shout. I bow hunted the Valle Vidal 6 years ago and have been back many times since. Just awesome country and full Elk doing their thing. They don't call it Little Yellowstone for nothing.

Last edited:
Dang defending new guy trolls...
We're not jumping him because he asked. But because he went straight from "Gimme info" to "I'm gonna insult you because you didn't gimme info"

yeah I know what you mean, I see it all the time on a couple other forums I've been on for years. They come in, ask and leave after a couple post. But when you get a great tag, you scramble to get info anywhere you can get it. When I hear "Valle Vidal " heaven opens and I here that heavenly music and I say" take me with you, I wanna go too".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back