Nm 16a

WIWhitetailer

Hey guys newbie here so be easy, enjoy reading your posts and I am trying to
absorb any and all western hunting information that's available. I leave for 16A
the 16th to hunt the 19th.

So here's my dilema, I have only hunted elk 3 times and been fortunate enough
to kill a spike and two 6x6's about 280-290 with bow. What should I hold out for
the first 4 days? I come to the conclusion that if I don't kill a bull the first 4 days
the last two days I would take anything over 300 if I get that opportunity. I would be
happy with a 320 bull but would hate to shoot a bull this size the first day and not
at least give myself a chance at a real keeper. Am I being realistic to let a 320 bull
walk the first 4 days or crazy? Interested to hear opinions of some hunters who
have hunted the Gila. I'm not afraid to eat tag soup but my elk hunting opportunities
have been few and far between and would sure like to bring one home.

I had 16A in 2008, for the same season you have. Moisture can make a difference, but I would not pass a 320 bull. That is a big bull.

If you are comfortable going home with your tag in your pocket, then that is a different story. Hold out for the one the fits your desires.

You have six days to hunt. Most hunters will not see a true 350 in those six days. We had three tags and none of us saw a bull of that size. They are there, for sure, but it takes some luck to be chasing a bugle that is made by a whopper like that.

One thing for sure, no matter what you hold out for, or no matter what you hang your tag on, 16A has got to be one of the funnest elk hunts in North America.

Good luck.

Good advice from Big Fin there. Everyone wants to kill a big bull, but a lot of us can't even tell the difference between a 320 and 350 bull on the hoof in the heat of the moment.

Look at the photos on this link for the difference between 320 and 350. A 320 bull is a pretty nice bull.
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=243799

Good luck, and shoot what makes you happy!

Thanks guys and I agree with what you are saying. If I were to come home with a 320 bull
I would be real happy. However a 320 bull on the last day would be much better than the first.
I waited 8 years to finally draw a NM tag and much longer for my first trophy unit and I would
hate to end it in a few hours on a nice but not great bull. You can bet I will be faced with this
desicion early in my hunt so I can second guess myself the next four days.

Oak you make a very good point that I probably won't know if it's a 320 or 340 bull. I'm betting
if I'm fortunate enough to get a 320 bull close I will be shaking and trying to shoot. One thing I
know for sure is I will enjoy every second of this hunt no matter how it turns out.

The whole Gila mountain range has some great hunting areas just have to do the leg work to find those places. Hunt away from the road nearest the farthest water source to find those big bulls. They get smart pretty fast because of the first hunt there aready been hunted for a week. Find the out of the way places average hunters are not willing to go. I always have luck atleast 1 to 3 miles away from any forest road. Although I havent killed a bull since 2004 I have put many hunters infront of big bulls some times you drop them and some times you dont. Will be in unit 16b starting friday. Have my bow hunt then have my hunters come in on the 1st and 2nd hunts in 51 for rifle. I have been hunting here in NM just about all my life and still havent figured out these great animals. Good Luck be safe and have fun...

Manzanomadness, that is a tough situation to be in. Having killed 2 bull's in the 280 n 290 range, a 320 bull is 30 inches bigger than your biggest bull. So i would say shoot! This is because you can always have a goal to beat. Baby steps in a cents! If you kill a monster 400 bull then that would be almost impossible to beat. I know it would look good on the wall n then you could just help everyone else out! I hope you get the one you want! Have funs the biggest key and shoot straight! ;-) I will be not far from you in unit 17 so if you need any help packing out just call. I think you have my number in a p.m. Good Luck!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back