Newbie turkey hunter sunked 3 weekends in a row- Idaho

Captainvette2112

I decided to give turkey hunting a go this season and like the title says I've been skunked 3 weekends in a row. I've been hunting the Cuddy mt public land area near Council (for anyone familiar with Idaho)

I've seen turkey tracks, droppings, dusting areas with some feathers. I've seen some solo hens and even called one in....

I walked maybe 20 miles of ridges in the last 3 weekends and got frustrated and jumped on the atv to cover more ground. I've been calling with a box call, shock crow call, and an owl call..... I can't buy a gobble.

Is there a trick to locating Toms that I'm missing. There are clearly hens here so shouldn't there be Toms?

WHat are you hearing at sunrise/sunset?

Depending on the birds and their groups, you may not hear a peep once they are on the ground.

My favorite way to locate birds is a coyote howler at sunrise and sunset. You want them to make noise on the roost. Thats the only surefire way to get the birds to reveal their location. Merriams will move 3-5 miles a day no problem, so if you don't have any birds roosted in your area, I would strike out to find birds during those roost times.

If you're not within 1-2 miles of a roost, you're always behind the 8-ball. I got skunked my first season because everyone made it seem so easy. One of the best bits of advice I got said if you've only got 5 days to hunt, spend the first 2 days scouting. You should be in the woods before it gets light and staying out until the sky turns black.

Relax during midday if you need a nap. I usually hunt until 12-1pm. Rest until 330-4 and then get back after them. Unless you're sleeping, I would be in the woods where you can make a play on the birds.

So, if you can't find a roost, you're just running around hoping to trip over a bird. Lots of people are successful hunting during the day by glassing and stalking, but your odds will go WAY up if you can find a group of birds. Keep at it. Turkeys are probably my favorite thing to hunt.

I know the truck/ATV will help you cover more ground, but the birds will avoid the sound. As a flatlander in the woods of MN, I was blown away by how skittish western birds are. I was floored when I would see turkeys flare and run away after spotting me from 400yds to a half mile away.

Try to hide your vehicle in some trees whenever you can. Frankly, if I spot a bird, I will drive past them until I can park completely out of sight and then make a stalk back towards them.

As the season wears on (Kansas birds are under the bow/gun threat for two full months) birds on my public land spots become incredibly wary. For me it becomes much more spot and stalk and patterning know/suspected travel routes rather than decoying and calling. My Rio and Rio hybrids don't travel as much as your mountain birds will travel in a day. Finding hens usually will mean that the boys are not far off....unless they have already been given a ride home to some other hunters grill.

One sure way to not get a bird is to sit on your couch. Count everyday as an adventure, and finding birds a bonus, and finally getting your first as the sweetest icing on the cake ever. I finally connected on my first bird after several years of fun frustration

PS: turkeys rely on their ears and eyes. Are you being stealthy as a ninja? Smart birds know cars, trucks and atv's mean trouble. Sshhhhhhh

IMO keep covering ground until you find some gobbling, preferrably from the roost at daybreak or sunset. Then worry about calling. I've had very little luck cold calling.

I've hunted the Council area and the birds are there, keep after it!

I'm fairly new to turkey hunting too and am having about the same results as you. Been hunting the Idaho City area. Thanks for the help from those who replied.

I'm hearing the first roost goobles now at 0555, flydown depending on area is 0620 or so.
You must be in a position to listen and locate before you can commence hunting him.
Where there are hens there are boys!

I've been hunting too far from town. This little critter just ran by my work. Must be headed to Cabelas. My office is about a half from the Boise store, as the turkey flies. Sorry you'll have to twist your head to view the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 135
I hunt Merriam's here in Colorado and this late in the season the tom's are pretty quite. Also we see lots of solo hen's which to us means they are on nest's and there boyfriend isn't anywhere to be found. We also start to concentrate on meadows as the first crop of hopper's start coming out. Also where we hunt the ranchers are starting to plow fields. I have found birds more than once picking thru a fresh plowed field. Just some idea's. Also as one member mentioned, spot and stalk is probably your best bet this time of year. And ditch the car/atv. Turkeys don't like vehicles. Also as some one mentioned you need to be like a ninja as their eyes and ears are there main defense. If they could smell they would be practical impossible to hunt. Good luck to you!

Turkeys can be extremely easy at times and almost impossible at others. There is some good advice posted.

I would say, try to figure a roosting sight first and work out from there. Woodsmanship is as important as calling ability sometimes, also. If toms are henned up, it is almost impossible to call them away from the hens. If you can figure out a travel path, get ahead of them and call softly, many times the hens will come check you out and bring the big stupid with them. That is how I killed the turkey that I posted pics of here. He was very hunter-shy.

Late in the season, many toms get frantic, as their hens start disappearing to build nests. I have called in good birds from long distances at that time in the season. Cover a lot of country, stopping to call once in a while to see if any are within ear shot. Midday can be a great time, as that is when the hens have really spread out.

Some days, the weather is all-important. One bright day, they may gobble all day and the next day, you cannot even get a peep off the roost.

Keep at it and you will figure them out. Persistence is important.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back