Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New Western hunter needs advice on Mule deer hunting

I know of a de area in Wyoming near Cheyenne. They are state areas so no camping near by. Great day hunts with multiple large bucks during archery hunt. Unfortunately they have moved before rifle. There are plenty of lope and even a few elk in the area. Let me know if this intrests you and are serious. I have recommended the area to several people on this site and thus far nobody has tried them.

Don't over look Idaho, very awesome OTC opportunities, and for big deer, also there are a couple early hunts in august you could apply for.... Anything in Idaho S. of the Interstate is pretty good for spot and stalk and a few places up by Stanley are good also, tags are cheaper I believe as well, good luck,
Matt

Welcome to the forum!! Your best bet might be to wait on the leftover tags in Montana and maybe combine the trip with an elk or a cow elk.
Just curious, if you want to go then why would you wait for the leftover tags? Are they cheaper or something?

Just curious, if you want to go then why would you wait for the leftover tags? Are they cheaper or something?

I was just thinking for ease of someone new to western hunting not having to play the draw system and get all confused, that's all. All I was doing was offering a suggestion to help someone avoid the confusion of the draw process since we get bombarded with draw system question come application time, and with the leftovers, he can look over the tags and see what's available for the style of hunting he'd like to do. The second question was kinda silly and condescending, don't you think?

Last edited:

yes, i don't understand that either as they are sold at face price regardless of being in the draw or otc. in the past few years, if you go in the draw, you get a tag.

Well, you do get to skip the drawing fee when you buy a leftover, right? I mean, that's small potatoes compared to the price of the tag, but it's something. Wouldn't be worth it unless you knew for sure there would be leftovers.

in Montana, I don't believe you pay anything unless you are drawn. I could be wrong, but if there is a "draw fee", I have yet to see that separately as I have been drawn every year I have put in... (and it would have to be so low that I did not care or I would play the wait game too...)

Well, you do get to skip the drawing fee when you buy a leftover, right? I mean, that's small potatoes compared to the price of the tag, but it's something. Wouldn't be worth it unless you knew for sure there would be leftovers.

Correct for Wyoming in that the $14 application fee charged in the draw is waved for all leftover licenses.

I read somewhere that MT has a $5 drawing fee. Again, small potatoes compared to a $996 nonresident big game combo.

Don't over look Idaho, very awesome OTC opportunities, and for big deer, also there are a couple early hunts in august you could apply for.... Anything in Idaho S. of the Interstate is pretty good for spot and stalk and a few places up by Stanley are good also, tags are cheaper I believe as well, good luck,
Matt

Thanks so much! I'll look into this place for sure!

Sorry mattfly77...I was trying to make your life easier by circumventing the draw process, which can be quite confusing, and still get you a good hunt. I've lived out here 10 years and I can still make no sense of the Montana draw and the Wyoming draw is spotty for me. I guess I'm not an expert like all the rest of these guys. So, I guess I'm a douche for trying to help you...sorry dude :W: I guess I'll stick to helping people in private from now on like I normally do. I'm originally from back East, by the way...once you get out here you're never going to want to leave :D

Last edited:
JohnCushman, please don't stop helping folks in public and don't take comments as criticism. This is the wonderful thing about forums like this - we will eventually get around to and through multiple answers and options. If your solution is not the one that someone is looking for, then perhaps it is the next guy that comments on your post. Conversations in private do not help the entire community and I think that is what most of us want on here.

I was just thinking for ease of someone new to western hunting not having to play the draw system and get all confused, that's all. All I was doing was offering a suggestion to help someone avoid the confusion of the draw process since we get bombarded with draw system question come application time, and with the leftovers, he can look over the tags and see what's available for the style of hunting he'd like to do. The second question was kinda silly and condescending, don't you think?
Geezuz John. No I don't think it was silly or condescending, it was just a guess as to why you suggested the guy wait. Sorry for the confusion.

Geezuz John. No I don't think it was silly or condescending, it was just a guess as to why you suggested the guy wait. Sorry for the confusion.

I apologize if I took it the wrong way. With you being from MT, you know they don't cost less, so the question seemed silly, like you were poking fun at me or something like I was dumb or something like that.

Sorry mattfly77...I was trying to make your life easier by circumventing the draw process, which can be quite confusing, and still get you a good hunt. I've lived out here 10 years and I can still make no sense of the Montana draw and the Wyoming draw is spotty for me. I guess I'm not an expert like all the rest of these guys. So, I guess I'm a douche for trying to help you...sorry dude :W: I guess I'll stick to helping people in private from now on like I normally do. I'm originally from back East, by the way...once you get out here you're never going to want to leave :D
Don't be silly, your help is appreciated. I've never been through the Montana draw system so I know nothing about it.

I apologize if I took it the wrong way. With you being from MT, you know they don't cost less, so the question seemed silly, like you were poking fun at me or something like I was dumb or something.
Don't worry, January is apparently the month for Hunt talkers to treat me like the chew toy. I'm getting used to it. :D

Or North Dakota if you are archery hunting.

JLS, Are you applying?

The application deadline for North Dakota Non-Resident Any Deer Bow License is March 1, 2016. http://gf.nd.gov/gnf/licensing/docs/app-nonres-any-deer-bow.pdf

NOTE: THIS IS AN ARCHERY ONLY TAG. Mail the ND G&F a personal check for $272 with the application; they cash the check only if you draw a tag, they mail your check back if you don't draw (at least that is how it has worked in past years). I don't think you can apply online for this one.

The ND archery season is set to open Friday September 2nd, 2016 and goes through the first Sunday in January of the following year (or January 8, 2017). You could arrow a velvet mule deer buck if you're hunting the opener...

It's been a mild winter so far, not much snow out west...there should be some nice bucks running around if the weather holds.

Dude, I know how ya feel. Archery talk.com is the worst about stuff like that. Anyway, I certainly appreciate your help, and any help I can get on this stuff. Keep it up!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back