New Theron Questa 10x42 HD-ED

noharleyyet

Delivered promptly as promised....Schmalts was right about the quality of these binoculars. Excellent flat clarity all the way to the edges. Side by sided in multiple light conditions with a pair of Leupold BX-4 McKinleys of the same power & can't discern any noticeable difference. Both good glass although the McKinley is discontinued IIRC.

Schmalts pricing and service simply can't be beat either. Thanks Pat.

http://theronoptics.com/QUESTA_HD-ED_BINOCULARS.html

I am offering a special price to OYOA forum members for these new binoculars. Use questa as a coupon code during checkout for a $75.00 discount. These new binoculars are going to make a lot of people happy in this price range that's for sure.

Just got mine this morning. They make my Leupold Cascades look like a toy. I can't wait to get them side by side with some other brands. Extremely good edge clarity, great depth, and crystal clear on a hazy day. I don't know how anyone could go wrong for the money. Sturdiest eye cups I've seen, which is one of my pet peevs. Thanks a million Pat.

Just got mine this morning. They make my Leupold Cascades look like a toy. I can't wait to get them side by side with some other brands. Extremely good edge clarity, great depth, and crystal clear on a hazy day. I don't know how anyone could go wrong for the money. Sturdiest eye cups I've seen, which is one of my pet peevs. Thanks a million Pat.
I am looking forward to hearing some side by side comparison feedback against bins costing hundreds more.

Have used mine all season, including my trip to Wyoming. I have found them to be everything I had hoped. The edge to edge clarity is awesome. This may not seem like much but when you are slowly glassing a far ridgeline or trying to pick apart thick cover, it saves a pass or two. What I mean is that when you go back and forth in a typewriter like pattern you are taking in a larger area on each pass because the entire field of view is in focus. Everything has functioned flawlessly and I really like the feel of the rubber armor.

If I was to have one complaint they are a bit heavy, but not to the point of being a big issue.

For me to compare them is not unbiased. You will have to ask around on the optics forums such as BirdForum and OpticsTalk. I know a guy that goes by FrankD has reviewed them and many other models. PM him and he can give you an honest review compared to others binoculars. Here is his review
http://www.opticstalk.com/theron-optics-questa-8x42_topic42036.html

Thanks for the link, I was hoping more HT people bought them and have compared them, but maybe not. Mostly interested in the comparison with Vortex, so I will try to find them both here in MN.

I have not compared them with Vortex, but I love mine. Now to clarify the Questa are the most expensive binoculars that I have ever purchased so it stands to reason that they would be the best I have ever owned. However I have to say they are amazingly clear, show details that my cheaper binos don't , and in low light they really excel at looking deeper into the shadows. I am hard on binos as I wear them while climbing trees and crawling through sage, and don't always remember or bother to put caps back on. They have held up well for their first season. I'm no glass expert but they have been terrific for me.

I certainly commend the optics peeps for delivering functional gear to the market. I can remember squinting thru 50 buck cheapies 40 years ago trying to figure out if I was looking at a buck or a cactus. In today's money a 50$ equivalent will buy you an amazing leap. I have looked thru a bud's 10x42 Razors and they are very nice...but for my eyes no better than the Questas, albeit it wasn't a side by side viewing.

Last edited:
If Pat wants to send me a pair, I will do a side by side comparison with my 10x42 Razor HDs out bear hunting this spring! ;)

On a serious note. The biggest difference I have noticed when I stepping up a bit in my binos (from Leupold Mojaves), was that I experienced way less eye fatigue when glassing for long periods. While I don't need a pair, I am still really interested in how these binos perform.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back