MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Rifle

fishing4sanity

Winter is finally over and as soon as the ground dries a bit more it's time to start planting and getting busy on the farm, but I finally have my new toy put together. Getting the action was slower than expected, and now I need to squeeze in some load development time. Plus, there's a match in one month that I try to shoot at every year with my three sons - I need to find an eighth day in every week to get my playing done! The rifle is a Bighorn TL3 action, a Bartlein barrel chambered in 260 REM, sitting in a KRG X-Ray chassis, topped with a Vortex Razor and tipped with Thunder Beast's Ultra 7. I had a paint job in mind, but that's gonna have to wait. Anyone want to farm while I play?
Bighorn.jpg

Man that is pretty. I've been wondering about fluted barrels lately. Are they mostly for aesthetics, or does it improve performance at all? I'm thinking more on a hunting rig than competition.
Sweet set up!

noharley.

I have seen for years that your posts require a Thesaurus. You finally lost me!

Thanks for the education.

Well good luck, she's a beauty. If I was closer I'd help with farm and gun break in. Thought you were thinking about a 28 nosler? I can say mine shoots lights out.

Man that is pretty. I've been wondering about fluted barrels lately. Are they mostly for aesthetics, or does it improve performance at all? I'm thinking more on a hunting rig than competition.
Sweet set up!

Aesthetics, weight and barrel cooling. It does create more surface area so it does cool faster. There is some debate about whether or not it decreases the strength of the steel, I think it does but I also think if youve pushed your barrel to the limit that it NEEDS that little bit of strength then youre doing something very, very wrong.

Awesome rifle! My compliments to the designer of the entire system....

Great looking rifle! Looks heavy, how much does it weigh. Congrats

That's pretty cool. I always liked the 260 and wanted one. Seems like everyone is on to the creedmoor now.

Thanks for the comments, now to the questions. TRS_Montana, in my opinion the fluting was more aesthetics than anything, but it does shave a bit of weight off too. Mthuntinfool, thanks for the break-in offer, but the farm keeps a pretty short leash on me this time of year, as much as I'd love to see Montana in the springtime it just ain't happening. 7mm08mo, I'm still interested in a 28 Nosler (when am I not interested in another gun?), but for a PRS style rifle this one I think fits the bill a little better. sneakypete, while I hesitate to call my gal fat, she is stout, ready to play at about 14.5 lbs. The matches my sons shoot in typically have 8 to 12 round counts per stage, so the 10 round magazine in this gun is a big plus over my hunting rifle. Sometimes a stage may be an unlimited-rounds stage, then the fast guys go through multiple mags. My 'fast days' are in the rear-view mirror (if they ever existed at all), but you still need decent capacity in the mags. Most matches don't cover long walking distances, so while it's heavy, it works for me and wears me out by the end of the day too. I did get a chance to shoot a new hunting rifle the other day as well; 6.5 GAP, Pendleton Composite stock, Proof Research carbon fiber barrel and a Leupold VX6 at a much nicer playing weight of 8 lbs. 4oz. Here's a pic of my son with that rifle.
Oregun.jpg

Ouch 14.5 lbs....you won't be taking that too far into the field :)

Good looking rifle!
I have thought of building something similar before and still might. If I were to shoot in matches like you and your boys it would definitely be on the short list.

That's a whole lotta grass seed and onions. Hope it shoots even nicer than it looks

i want to join!
_MG_8180-2 by matt hornback, on Flickr

Howa Action, Kreiger 26" m24 barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. KRG 180 chassis with whiskey 3 back end. Leupold Mark 6 with tremor 3.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pam Fetzner
Back